6277 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Bdf shows file system full but ll shows no file

Ericsson GSC
Occasional Advisor

Bdf shows file system full but ll shows no file

Hi,
When I am running a bdf on a file system then it shows it to be 100% full but when I try to do a ll on this directory path then i see that there are no files.
What could be the possible reason for it.
11 REPLIES 11
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

A possibly reason could be that an open file was removed (rm) as opposed to cat /dev/null > . This might clear up in time (short time) or you may have to reboot to reclaim.

As a precaution, if you are not sure if the file is open, do the cat /dev/null. If the file is open, you will see data populate the file not long after.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

One simple possibility is that you are not seeing 'dot' files; do: ls -al

...JRF...
Mike McKinlay
Honored Contributor

bdf by default reports free space on all volumes. Follow it with a directory or filename and it will report the free space on the volume on which the directory/file exists.

If you're looking for something to tell you what's hogging the space, you need to use du. Check out the man pages on both of these.
"Hope springs eternal."
John Palmer
Honored Contributor

fuser -c will produce a list of processes which have files open in that filesystem. If you can identify the process that has the removed file open and close/kill it then the free space will be reclaimed.

Regards,

John
Park Si Hyun

In my opiniion, after removing files by using command 'rm', it takes some time to synchronize the file system information like 'bdf'. But I think it's not critical in system.
Whenever, Wherever, Whoever and Whatever I'll go.
Park Si Hyun

In my opiniion, after removing files by using command 'rm', it takes some time to synchronize the file system information like 'bdf'. But I think it's not critical in system.
Whenever, Wherever, Whoever and Whatever I'll go.
Devbinder Singh Marway
Valued Contributor

Another thing you can try is run the sync command one thing this is used for is to examine a file system , when doing (fsck,df etc..)
For more info do man sync

regards
Dev
Seek and you shall find
Ericsson GSC
Occasional Advisor

Hi everyone,
Thanks for your contribution.We found the problem here. The problem was becuase when you are having filesize larger than 2 Gigabytes on HPUX (probably all versions),
then you have to define it in fstab file.
This is what we had not done.
Carl Roberts

Is it an Oracle datafile ?

If so what happens is that the database still holds that space, I beleive the SMON process is the one that will clean it up eventually (either every 30 minutes or 2 hours). However I have seen it not do this, shutdown / startup of DBMS will cure it.

Carl