108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Broken Pipe

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jason Berendsen
Regular Advisor

Broken Pipe

Our DBA's are running an import process and in the middle of importing a table the process becomes inactive. They still see the process in the process table but Oracle is waiting for a message from the client process. They suspect the pipe that is feeding the import process is broken. Is there a way to find broken pipes?
4 REPLIES 4
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Jason,

Can you describe or post the command they are using? Do you have "lsof" installed? If not, you can get it from the HP porting site:
http://hpux.cs.utah.edu/hppd/hpux/Sysadmin/lsof-4.55/

Run it to see what files their processes have open. Hopefully it will help narrow the search.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Eric Ladner
Trusted Contributor

Are you sure there's no activity?

When importing a table with a LONG column in it, Oracle will go into brief periods of seeming inactivity while importing the table. Why, I have no idea, but I've seen it happen.

If you were doing an interesting import, say uncompressing a file on the fly and passing the stream to import via a file system pipe, there should be a message in the import log if your input stream get's chopped off.
Carlos Fernandez Riera
Honored Contributor

Remember that after fill the data begins the creation of indexes.

Try to do it with indexes=no, and create indexes in the next step. Your DBA should know it.
unsupported
Jason Berendsen
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the help. I have passed the info on to our DBA team.