Operating System - HP-UX
1753435 Members
4723 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

C++ Compiler required for ORACLE Installation.

Juan Manuel Naranjo A.
Frequent Advisor

C++ Compiler required for ORACLE Installation.

Hello, I´m going to install ORACLE 10.2.0.2 in a HPUX ia64 (11.23 ) server, this ORACLE instance is only as a DB for SAP (EEC 6.0 ) In the installation instructions is states that requires the C++ compiler. Is ist really reuired ? ANy help will be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Juan
5 REPLIES 5
Kenan Erdey
Honored Contributor

Re: C++ Compiler required for ORACLE Installation.

Hi,

Ansi C/C++ is required for proC i think. But you can use gcc if you don't want to pay for C++

Kenan.
Computers have lots of memory but no imagination
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

This may or may not apply.

http://h21007.www2.hp.com/portal/site/dspp/menuitem.863c3e4cbcdc3f3515b49c108973a801/?ciid=e408e467f5f02110e467f5f02110275d6e10RCRD

Oracle's products need to be linked on-site as part of their installation process. Some of Oracle's E-Business applications are written in C++ and require the C++ compiler to perform the link. If the system where the Oracle application is being installed has no other use for the C++ compiler, purchasing the compiler just to install Oracle products can be an unreasonable burden on the customer.
HP provides another solution: to use the software provided as an evaluation compiler to perform the link. The evaluation compiler kit has a time-limited compiler component, but allows C++ link operations indefinitely.

Juan Manuel Naranjo A.
Frequent Advisor

Then I could Install evaluation version and is OK.?

Thank you.

You *do not* require the C++ compiler to install Oracle database on HPUX. The link Tim provided is for Oracle e-business suite only and doesn't apply to the database.

As Kenan indicated, with the database you need C/C++ only if you are doing development work using Oracle Pro C/C++, which I doubt you are going to use if this database is for a SAP ECC 6.0 installation.

Can you point to the material that indicated you needed the compiler installed?

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

As mentioned by Kenan you need it for ProC.
And by Duncan, you may need it for Oracle e-business suite.

>Tim: This may or may not apply.

This is obsolete. There is a new product on 11.31 0803, aCC_link:
http://docs.hp.com/en/5992-3373/ch10s02.html

This enables aC++ linking.
This same product is also be available on Application Release media.
http://h20338.www2.hp.com/hpux11i/cache/585225-0-0-0-121.html

>Duncan: You *do not* require the C++ compiler to install Oracle database on HP-UX.

Right. The bundled C compiler should work find. Though Oracle documentation may say that the latest C/aC++ compiler patches are needed. In this case, you should ignore it if you have a newer version of the compiler or you don't have it at all.