5141 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

CLOB is hosing me!

Tom Jackson
Valued Contributor

CLOB is hosing me!

Hi:

I have a Java application running on an HPUX 11i WebSphere application server and I can't get a result set back when I request CLOB data type. I get the error:

"Exception: java.sql.SQLException: ORA-03115: unsupported network datatype or representation"

when I do my statement.executeQuery(sqlString). I'm running the thin driver. I make several other sql queries in other parts of my application and they work fine. It's just the request for CLOB that causes a problem. I can change the sql so that it doesn't select the CLOB data and the call works fine.

I've done some reading about the OCI8 driver, and upgrading. Where can I get the OCI8 driver that will run on my HPUX box and how do I install it?

I'm migrating this application from an old Linux PC. The Oracle 8.0.5 database runs on an NT box.

Tom :-(
3 REPLIES 3
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Re: CLOB is hosing me!

http://www.orafaq.com/faqjdbc.htm#OCI

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Steve Steel
Honored Contributor
Tom Jackson
Valued Contributor

Re: CLOB is hosing me!

Hi:

FIXED IT!

Tried to install Oracle 9.0.1 client on my HP web server, but it failed. However, it did load several files on my workstation including /bla/bla/OraHome/jdbc/lib/classes111.jar. I imported this file into my web application lib directory in place of the 8.0.5 classes111.zip file and the statement.executeQuery(sqlString) call worked without generating an exception! It also returned the clob of data I was thirsting for!:-)

I also had to change the java code. In my code, the previous definition of the variable clob was:
oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleClob clob = null;

With the new jar file the define is as follows:

oracle.jdbc2.Clob clob = null;

Thanks for the links Larry and Steve.

Tom