1745793 Members
3667 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

CSH script for Oracle job

samd_1
Super Advisor

CSH script for Oracle job

Running a cron job. However I need to figure out how to change it so that it detects any Oracle errors and exits the script or goes to a certain part if an Oracle error occur. The file included shows the part of the script I need modified. The problem is when the sqlplus script "test" runs(which actually just executes a procedure), and fails with an Oracle error because the database was down for instance, the script continues on instead of echoing "ERROR - Could not run test process". I'd like the script to do this just like it works when the return_cd($status) is not 0. What do I need to add to the if statement to check for the results of sqlplus statement?
3 REPLIES 3
VanZandt, David
Occasional Advisor

Re: CSH script for Oracle job

Your file did not appear, so regrets, I'm in the dark on specifics such as your version level, shell, etc. Using OS 10.20 & 11.0, with RDBMS 7.34 to 8i, I employ the SQLPlus qualifiers WHENEVER SQLERROR EXIT FAILURE, or less often WHENEVER OSERROR... -- thus the SQL statement returns a fatal status value when control pops back to the calling shell script. There it's a simple check to branch on the status, such as IF ( $? .ne 0)....

As you may expect, the parameters are robust and well documented. The following snippet is found in one of the Metalink forum messages, as another example.

echo `$ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus -s / <whenever oserror exit sql.sqlcode commit
whenever sqlerror exit sql.sqlcode commit
alter database backup controlfile to '$ORABCK/control_01.ctl' reuse
exit;
EOF3` > log.lst
samd_1
Super Advisor

I'll have to check out Metalink to see.

Here is part of the shell script that runs the SQL Plus script

echo "Processing test extract..."
sqlplus ${userid} @${sql_dir}/test
set return_cd = $status
if (${return_cd} != 0) then
echo "Could not process test extract."
exit 1
endif
Raju_6

You should add an EXCEPTION clause in your main PL/SQL block to capture the ORACLE error.