Operating System - HP-UX
1752280 Members
5082 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can only start the Oracle listener as root!

harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Adam,

What does "INTEL" SVR5 mean? Is this an install on Solaris??

TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error TNS-00511: No listener
Intel SVR4 UNIX Error: 2: No such file or directory
TNSLSNR for Intel SVR4 UNIX: Version 8.1.5.0.0 - Production on 28-SEP-02 10:24:58

Oracle is so great at it's error messages that future programmers should take note to make sure that they never follow oracle's lead, then maybe sometime in the future we'll have code that actually produces meaningful error messages and clues to the corrective action.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
MAD_2
Super Advisor

OK, I am going to attemp to answer eveyone's questions here:

John, the answer to your question is no. The error only appears when a user other than root attempts to restart the listener right after a reboot. It does not appear, however, after root has restarted it and if it is manually stopped after that, it can be re-started by oracle (I have not attempted other users to restart the listener after it is stopped the first time). No error when root does the attempt at any point.

Bill, I certainly am not sure if the installation was performed using root. The installation of oracle was done by AVAYA folks, so I will have to find out. However, everything seems to be working fine with the exception of the described problem.

Harry, this is not an HP-UX. We do use Oracle in two of our HP-UX systems, 10.2 and 11.0. The 11.00 has 8.x What the "Intel SVR4 UNIX Error: 2: No such file or directory" means? I am not sure. This is a "SCO UnixWare 7.1.1" system.

Thanks everyone...
Contrary to popular belief, Unix is user friendly. It's just very particular about who it makes friends with
john korterman
Honored Contributor

Hi again,
last suggestion... I originally concluded that the "No such file or directory" message meant that a certain file was expected but not present (and could not be created). As the error does not appear for root, it makes me believe that the file in question can be - and is - created by root. Last attempt would be to repeat my first search suggestion, but then not only under the /oracle dir.

regards,
John K.
it would be nice if you always got a second chance
Ian Dennison_1
Honored Contributor

Possible contention issue,...

Check $ORACLE_HOME/bin/dbsnmp permissions, make sure the sticky bit is set.

-rwsr-s--- 1 root dba 9555968 Mar 26 2002 dbsnmp

I believe this talks with the listener.

Share and Enjoy! Ian Dennison
Building a dumber user
MAD_2
Super Advisor

Ian, the permissions are correct. John, I am looking into the list created when the scope is widened to the entire system, which creates a very long list by the way. I hope to be able to catch something there...
Contrary to popular belief, Unix is user friendly. It's just very particular about who it makes friends with
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Why not call Oracle, being that it's those lazy bums that don't know how to write appropriate error messages?

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Johan Bergwitz
Advisor

Which port are you trying to bind to? All ports below 1024 can only be bound by root or a process using setuid root.

Rgds
Johan
john korterman
Honored Contributor

Hi Adam,
if you delete the /tmp after reboot, you should start searching there.

regards,
John K.
it would be nice if you always got a second chance
Jean-Luc Oudart
Honored Contributor

Hi this is an extract from Metalink.
The problem is around file permissions (directory) for socket files.
You would have to check for the right directory re you rsystem :
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You receive the following messages in the "listener.log" file: TNSLSNR for Solaris: Version 8.0.5.0.0 - Production on 07-JUL-99 18:43:51 (c) Copyright 1997 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved. System parameter file is /infosys/oracle/tnsadmin/listener.ora Log messages written to /var/log/oracle/sqlnet/lsnr01.log Attempted to listen on: (DESCRIPTION=(CONNECT_TIMEOUT=10)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=ipckey))) TNS-12541: TNS:no listener TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error TNS-00511: No listener Solaris Error: 2: No such file or directory" Solution: ========= The Listener requires access to the directory '/var/tmp/oracle' in order to write socket files. The socket files are used for internal pipe connections to the database. Make sure that the Oracle user is the owner in this directory and has full permissions to it. Problem Explanation: ==================== The ORA-12541 is actually cause by a Unix/Solaris error #2 :No such file or directory. This can be caused when the Listener attempts to access internal pipes socket files.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jean-Luc
fiat lux
Tom Danzig
Honored Contributor

Check permissions for oracle user for /etc/tnsnames.ora and /etc/listener.ora (if that's where they are).

Also, make sure the port number you are trying to use is > 1024 (not privileged).