Operating System - HP-UX
1748182 Members
3528 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can only start the Oracle listener as root!

Volker Borowski
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I'd suspect a shared object problem. This would be the only thing which would explain, why it works, after root once initialized it -> because the shared object has alread been loaded to memory.

Check out the environment for root for all kind of LIB-Variables. Most common: DIR_LIBRARY and LD_LIBRARY PATH. Possibly those are set to an older release for your oracle user and do not get what they need.

Just another try
Volker
MAD_2
Super Advisor

Allright, another discovery. I am not really the Oracle db here, I am the Unix SA, so I am not sure about what the purpose of the tnsnames.ora file is.

What I am sure about is that this particular system does not have a tnsnames.ora file. The database does start and client applications can be used after the listener is started, so I guess there is no implication on not having this file. Can someone explain the purpose?
Contrary to popular belief, Unix is user friendly. It's just very particular about who it makes friends with
Brian Crabtree
Honored Contributor

The listener.ora is used as the configuration for the listener.

The tnsnames.ora file is used to define connections to databases through SQLNet. If you dont populate this file with information for each database that you want to connect to, you will be unable to connect to them.

What you should check is the following:

ll /etc/tnsnames.ora /etc/listener.ora $ORACLE_HOME/listener.ora $ORACLE_HOME/tnsnames.ora $TNS_ADMIN/listener.ora $TNS_ADMIN/tnsnames.ora

Look through the list of files and make sure each file is owned to oracle and is readable. Also, you should make sure that your listener is on a port over 1024. Any ports under this are locked by root and cannot be used without changing $ORACLE_HOME/bin/lsnrctl to suid-owner by root.

Thanks,

Brian