Operating System - HP-UX
1753837 Members
9271 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can this Oracle install be trusted? REALLY NEED HELP!

Victor Ciurus
Occasional Advisor

Can this Oracle install be trusted? REALLY NEED HELP!

Hello everyone,

I have tried to install Oracle 9.2.0.1 on a freshly installed HP-UX 11.00 OS (QualityPack Sept 2002, all patches up to date, etc).

Everything went ok until Oracle Installer tried to go for application linking. There I got a lot of "Exception thrown from action: make" errors for "ins_oemagent.mk, ins_ctx.mk, ins_otrace.mk". The STRANGE fact was that I kept pushing "RETRY" button for an indefinite number of times and the Oracle Installer went on and finally completed the linking stage and went on for the database creation.

Looking in /oraapp/product/9.2.0/install/make.log for the above mentioned related linking errors I could see that ALMOST everytime the error messages are different for the same .mk linked (eg. "ins_oemagent.mk, ins_ctx.mk, ins_otrace.mk") but for different component compiling stage EVERY TIME (eg. /oraapp/product/9.2.0/bin/dbsnmpj, /oraapp/product/9.2.0/bin/oemevent, /oraapp/product/9.2.0/bin/oratclsh, etc), as it follows:

1. ld: Cannot create a branch stub for a call from offset 0x380 in section .text of file /oraapp/product/9.2.0/network/lib/libnmi.a[nminm.o] to symbol "snltmgcs" in file /oraapp/product/9.2.0/lib//libclntsh.sl. The calling section may be too large.

2. ld: Cannot create a branch stub for a call from offset 0x370 in section .text of file /oraapp/product/9.2.0/network/lib/libnmi.a[nmix.o] to symbol "nlfncons" in file /oraapp/product/9.2.0/lib//libclntsh.sl. The calling section may be too large.
ld: Cannot create a branch stub for a call from offset 0xac in section .text of file /oraapp/product/9.2.0/network/lib/libnmi.a[nmin.o] to symbol "lxhchtoid" in file /oraapp/product/9.2.0/lib//libclntsh.sl. The calling section may be too large.
ld: Cannot create a branch stub for a call from offset 0x1fc in section .text of file /oraapp/product/9.2.0/network/lib/libnmi.a[snmitcl.o] to symbol "vpxoci_CtxLoginWithRole" in file /oraapp/product/9.2.0/lib//libvppdc.sl. The calling section may be too large.

3. mv: /oraapp/product/9.2.0/bin/nmu7q28: cannot access: No such file or directory
*** Error exit code 1 (ignored)

4. ld: The value 0x200000 does not fit when applying the relocation LTOFF21L, LTOFF_FPTR21L, LTOFF_TP21L or LTOFF_DTPMOD21L for symbol "gxlwFCmpr" at offset 0x394 in section index 16 of file /oraapp/product/9.2.0/lib//libgx9.a[gxlw.o]
1 errors.
*** Error exit code 1

Well I hope I had exposed my STRANGE Oracle problems pretty straightforward. My main concern is about the reliability of such an install process ALTHOUGH now the database is up un running smoothly. I mean later on I'll have to upgrade our Oracle 9.0.1 production databases to version 9.2.0.1 (on the same kind of machines and same OS) and I just want to know if it is a good ideea to go blindly with 'probably' the same errors and warnings in 'production'!

I can provide anyone who could help me with all the data related to OS status, applied patches, kernel params, etc in order to somehow clarify things out.

Any REAL help will be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Victor
I was born intelligent! Education ruined me.
4 REPLIES 4
Andreas D. Skjervold
Honored Contributor

Hi

It should for sure not behave this way. Have recently installed 9.2.0.1 on a 11.0 machine with March 2002 patch bundle (as I'm not able to download the sept2002 bundle) and the attached kernel settings.
This went well without any incidents, and its running smoothly now.
Did request the new Oracle 9i CD pack:
CD-PACK A99108-01 (Part#A99149-01 - A99152-01) replaced. Released on 21-June-2002
-due to the java issues, but don't think this matters in your case.

Have prev had problems with the linking part of the install due to too low maxdsiz settings, but in your case this seemed OK.

Beats me?

Saw your posting on Metalink; have you issued a TAR as well?
Think this must be the thing to do.

Andreas
Only by ignoring what everyone think is important, can you be aware of what everyone ignores!
Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

Hi, Victor

linking error in oracle install is due to kernel parameters has not been set required values. follow this link

http://docs.oracle.com/HTML_Storage/a90357/toc.htm
never give up
Tom Geudens
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Isn't this the problem that was described last week in thread http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xa85b0fe6d0f7d61190050090279cd0f9,00.html ?

Hope it helps,
Tom
A life ? Cool ! Where can I download one of those from ?
Victor Ciurus
Occasional Advisor

To Andreas: It beats me to! I will submit a new TAR on metalink as soon as we get back out Oracle support! It just vanished yesterday without Oracle warning us... :(
I don't think it is about Java because I have tried this before - with the old OS installed on the 'acused' machine and Java 1.3.2 - and it happened the same. Now I have installed Java 1.4.0.2 and I still get the same tsrange behavior.

To Ravi: I posted a .zip file that includes the kernel parameters from the installed machine. Why don't you first look there, see for yourself if some params are wrong and then comment upon the circumstances? Please!

To Tom Geudens: Tanks Tom! Indeed it is my post too but I decided to come over the problem again because I have reinstalled the OS, applied all the required patches (I guess!), modified the kernel params and still got the same bull****. On the post you quoted I did not receive any real clues to my install problem.
I was born intelligent! Education ruined me.