108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Choice of Replacingn Oracle Hard Drive

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steven Chen_1
Super Advisor

Choice of Replacingn Oracle Hard Drive

As I need more space, I need to replace one hard drive to hold more Oracle stuff by copying content (except swap) somewhere and create a bigger disk and copying content back. I need options about which drive is easier or less dangerous to be replaced:

1st drive: hold Oracle installed software and one swap device;

2nd drive: hold only Oracle datafiles.

They are 8G drive to be replaced by 36G, no mirror.

All comments are appreciated!
Steve
5 REPLIES 5
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: Choice of Replacingn Oracle Hard Drive

Well, if this were me, I would move everything to one 36GB drive and use the other 36GB drive as a mirror. It is state of the art dumb to run Oracle w/o mirroring and because you only have 2 drives, your i/o is going to suffer. I'll admit it will suffer even more under the mirrored option but I will give you some speed to gain reliabilty anytime.

You really need a better plan B; more drives or maybe a used array because anything will be better than the proposed solution. You can pick up used drive arrays for almost nothing these days.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Steven Chen_1
Super Advisor

Oh, I omit some minor details: I have 8 disks in total and Oracle stuff are well distributed. The replacement will allow me have more space to test new version of Oracle.

So I either replace the one with swap and software or the one with datafiles.

I need comments (as tear down swap is not funny).

Thanks.
Steve
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Replacing a drive with swap is no big deal --- unless this is the boot drive. To replace the swap, all you have to do is remove the entry from /etc/fstab and shutdown. You then insert the new disk and bring the system back up, define the new VG/LVOL's and add additional swap. It's easier than adding a new filesystem.

I would backup to tape (or spare disk if you have it); yank both 8GB drives and throw the 36GB drives in. You then create your VG's, LVOL's, and filesystems. Mount the filesystems and restore from backup.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi steven,

if the new disk is faster than the previous one, i would prefer to use it for the Oracle Datafiles. Of course, it depends on the level of tests you have opted for.

good luck.
regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I would suggest take complete data backup first to be safe. Then connect new disks and create new VG & file systems on them. Now mount them onto new paths & copy data with oracle shutdown to the new mount point. Remove swap and recreate on the VG in new disks.

Once copy is complete mount new disks on the same path where earlier disks were mounted.

Suppose old 8G disks are mounted at :-

/oracle
/data
& swap
Then mount new disks at /oracle1 & /data1
With oracle shut perform copy using cpio command.

#find /oracle -name "*" -print|cpio -pdmv /oracle1

Repeat same for /data

Recreate swap on new disks after removing swap entry from /etc/fstab & reboot.

Now mount /oracle1 to /oracle & /data1 to /data.

This shall be very fast as you will not require to restore from backup which takes long time but can not be done online unless you have option for mirroring.

HTH,
Devender
Impossible itself mentions "I m possible"