3957 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Comm Room Notice

Paula J Frazer-Campbell
Honored Contributor

Comm Room Notice

Hi
I am looking for technical information on disallowed equipment in computer rooms.
Some are obvious ? food and drink , but what about mobile phones? radios? Etc.

I know what I wish to include but I need Tech Info to back up my exclusions.

Thanks in advance.

Paula
If you can spell SysAdmin then you is one - anon
6 REPLIES 6
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Re: Comm Room Notice

Well I have been told to keep all cell phones away from our EMC disk arrays.

And since I used to work in a hospital, I appreciate that equipment can be affected by cell phones or micro waves placed in too close a proximity.

Regards,
Paula J Frazer-Campbell
Honored Contributor

Rita
Thanks for the disk array info, but I need to back up my exclusions are we dealing with hearsay or is there some real basis on the things we exclude.
The reason I am doing this is because I have developers that take radios and mobile phones into the comms room.

Thanks
If you can spell SysAdmin then you is one - anon
Patrick Wessel
Honored Contributor

Paula,
check the SitePrep guide for your installed sever. You will not find a detailed recomendation, but maybe some argumentation help...
There is no good troubleshooting with bad data
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

My info came from our EMC Systems Engineer. So I take that as reliable.

Like I said, I used to work in a hospital. And cell phones are generally prohibited in hospitals, etc. Microwaves are only allowed in certain areas in many. Here's a url I found that gives some info on the kind of eltromagnetic results of these....it may answer some of your questions. There are others you may want to check out.

http://www.who.int/peh-emf/publications/What_is_EMF/EMF_Internet_Version_Pictures.htm
Robert Gamble
Respected Contributor

Rita,

Please ask your EMC SE to justify his/her statement. My EMC SE is constantly on her cell phone while working on the arrays.
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Sure thing Robert, I have sent an email requesting anything 'formal' from EMC about this. Should I get something, I'll post.