New Discussion юеВ

Re: Comparison between Oracle 10.2g database with SAP MaxDB

SOLVED
Go to solution
Narendra Uttekar
Regular Advisor

Comparison between Oracle 10.2g database with SAP MaxDB

Hi,
We are planning to migrate the Oracle 10.2g database to SAP MaxDB.
I want some information before proceeding to SAP MaxDB.
1. Comparison and features between Oracle 10.2g database with SAP MaxDB.
2. Disaster Recovery feature like Oracle Dataguard -- Is that such kind of feature available with SAP MaxDB.
3. We are using DataProtector for Oracle DB backup...Can we use DataProtector for SAP MaxDB backup.
4. Any document available for Migrating Oracle 10.2g database to SAP MaxDB on HP-UX 11i v1.

Thanks,
Narendra
4 REPLIES 4
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Hmmm, those are the very quesions to ask before deciding whether to move.
I hope you'll get some hood hints here, but at the same time would recommend to engage a professional consultant with experiences in this area to help you.

For the final move you want to create a new SAP databases using the SAP installation procedure and use the SAP correction and transport system to transport objects between SAP systems.

fwiw,
Hein.

Volker Borowski
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

the procedure you look for is called
"heterogeneous systemcopy".

Best source for any documentation is SAPNET at service.sap.com which requires a SAPNET UserID (should be no problem).

The process itself is done with SAP migration tools and involves a complete export/import procedure with SAP Tool R3load. As the process involves a change at SAP for the license data, check out
http://service.sap.com/osdbmigration
for every organisational requirement around this procedure. An os/db migriation has to be done by a certified os/db migration partner (otherwise you'll get no support in case of trouble).

Check
http://service.sap.com/instguides
drill down to the netweaver release of your choice and take a look at the systemcopy guides for the description of the technical procedure.

As far as I remember: Yes there is some kind of standby functionality with maxdb, but I never saw that one in action anywhere.

Yes, dataprotector has agents to backup MaxDb.

As far as the features are involved, there are a whole lot less with maxdb, which does not need to be a problem, because a whole lot of screws simply can not be twisted (in a wrong way :-) with maxdb. It is A LOT less of administration with maxdb. If you need special Oracle features for dedicated performance reasons, check this performance in this area with a testmigration first, before you do your final decision.

As for the standard customer setup (means ERP x.y / 100-200GB database size and average workload) both databases do well as long an enough RAM is available.

I have not met a maxdb with a size above 200GB in action yet, so I can not say anything about how it performs from 200GB on.

Volker

Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Hi Narenda,

There is just nothing to compare: Oracle is the database leader.

I don't know MaxDB but I'm sure it is just a comercial play for SAP like SQL Server is/was for Microsoft...

Best Regards,

Eric Antunes
Each and every day is a good day to learn.
Narendra Uttekar
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the solution.