1752587 Members
3872 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Compiling 64Bit NDBM on HPUX-11.00

Grant Spencer
Advisor

Compiling 64Bit NDBM on HPUX-11.00

Using the gcc (64Bit Version Supplied by HP v2.9), when building a 64Bit version of Perl 5.6, libndbm is required. This does not appear to exist under HPUX as a 64 Bit Library (/usr/lib/pa20_64).

Does anyone out there know if this is installed as a separate package/depot from HP or whether or not this is in fact available?

Many thanks.
If at first you do succeed, try not to look so surprised!
7 REPLIES 7
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

Ive found both libndbm libraries on our servers, one is part of OS-CORE ! (why youre missing yours I dont know) and the other is part of Programming support -both should have been loaded at system install time.

OS-Core.CORE-SHLIBS: /usr/lib/libndbm.sl
ProgSupport.PROG-AUX: /usr/lib/libndbm.a

Maybe all you need to do is tell the Perl build makefile where these libraries are and it should compile aok.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Santosh Nair_1
Honored Contributor

Stefan,

I believe he's looking for the 64-bit version of these libraries, which should be in /usr/lib/pa20_64 (if they exist). Since you can't mix 32-bit and 64-bit libraries when building an executable, he can't use the one in /usr/lib.

Just out of curiosity, why are you trying to build a 64-bit version of perl. You should be able to run the 32-bit version on a 64-bit OS. Building a 64-bit version of perl doesn't buy you much unless your programs need large amounts of memory.

-Santosh
Life is what's happening while you're busy making other plans
Grant Spencer
Advisor

Thanks for the replies. Stefan you're correct. The developers here require access to large amounts of shared memory and under the 32-Bit memory model, I belive they're limited to 1 GByte or thereabouts. This is not sufficient for what they're trying to do.
Grant Spencer
Advisor

Apologies Santosh, I meant to say that you were correct. I should pay more attention to the author of the reply!!
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

oops, yes, I realised my earlier reply was in error but Santosh cleared that up.

As the library you want is an OS-Core lib there is only one way to get a 64bit version - and thats from HP themselves. Someone was trying to compile gcc3 to 64bit (in a current question on this forum) and couldnt, but eventually found that HP has just ported a 64bit version so he simply downloaded the binaries and was done. Your only hope is to check devresource.hp.com and ask around there when HP will port Perl to 64bit - its only a matter of time....
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

The link is here;

http://dsportal.eservices.hp.com/dspp/tech/tech_TechSoftwareDetailPage_IDX/1,1703,568,00.html

There is a forum here as well - this is where to ask when Perl will be ported to HP as 64bit.

http://dsportal.eservices.hp.com/dspp/tech/tech_TechHomePage_IDX/1,1702,,00.html
Grant Spencer
Advisor

Stefan,

Thanks for your help. The guys working on this have been looking around and it didn't seem to have an obvious solution. We'll have a hunt round Dev Resources and also log a call with HP to see what kind of timescale we'll be looking at here!