1748089 Members
4958 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Copying data between EMC frames

Arockia Jegan
Trusted Contributor

Copying data between EMC frames

I need to transfer data from EMC symm frame 8430 to EMC symm frame 8530. EMC frame 8430 has meta volumes. The file systems created on the metavolumes are mounted on the HP system running 11.11. Have BCV pairs on the EMC 8430. Have 4 HBAs connecting EMC 8430 and HP V class system. Have 12 HBAs connecting EMC 8530 and HP V class system. What are the recommened ways to transfer the data to the new frame 8530? The size of the data is nearly 3 TB.

Note: Don't want to go for SRDF. Also don't want to move the standard or BCV disks to the new frame and sync the data.
6 REPLIES 6
Marco Santerre
Honored Contributor

One way that comes to mind if you don't want to use BCV or SRDF is using MirrorDisk/UX. That way, no one would be impacted and you could break the mirrors whenever you want to, leaving everything on your new EMC array.
Cooperation is doing with a smile what you have to do anyhow.
Arockia Jegan
Trusted Contributor

Marco,

Thanks. That was one of the best solutions I was thinging. Still looking more more solutions.

Arockia
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Why not just have EMC do it? You do know that they have SYMMCOPY for these kind of things!

Basically they connect the two SYMM's together and copy the data.

That's how we move data from one SYMM to another!

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Arockia Jegan
Trusted Contributor

Harry,

We don't want to go for EMC professional service.

Thanks,
Arockia.
MANOJ SRIVASTAVA
Honored Contributor

If you dont want EMC services then the best way to go for is :

connect the frames to same machine ,

create vg's across the frames using disks

mirror using logical volume mamanger , break it and you have the data .

or use dd across the devices with the data base down

if you ahve a good tape drive libraray so a full back up adn resotore on the new devices ( this way you have a good abckup too.)

Manoj Srivastava
Jordan Bean
Honored Contributor

Are meta-volumes defined on the 8530? Will you be increasing the total capacity of the new filesystems?

Since you're not planning to use SRDF, then we're not too concerned about the hyper-volumes being identical in size between the two frames.

I would only concider using MirrorDisk/UX if the the volume groups will accommodate the new physical volume sizes. Remember that the maximum pv size defaults to the largest pv used for the initial vgextend.

When hyper-volume and meta-volume sizes differ (typicall increase), I tend to use cpio to copy data to new volume groups.