4571 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Crash Analysis Help

Steven Chen_1
Super Advisor

Crash Analysis Help

Hi,

I would like to have HP+Oracle guru to analyse the suddent Oracle crash last Friday. Your any comments are very apprciated.

Os is hpux 10.20, Oracle is V732. Physical Mem is 1G, Physical: 1048564 Kbytes, lockable: 778008 Kbytes, available: 895064 Kbytes. Oracle sga is 400M.

The crash was regarded either a memory false or process overflow that exceed memory. In any case, the reco process was not able to recover. Db was dead then. I had to recover all from the point of crash.

It would be interested for all viewers to learn from this instance. For your expertise, I would post the kernel configuration for your comment.

Thanks a lot first,

Steven

Steve
2 REPLIES 2
Mladen Despic
Honored Contributor

Re: Crash Analysis Help

Steven,

Have you monitored swap utilization?
What does 'swapinfo -tam' show?
In any case, if you have enough disk for about 2Gb of swap device, I would suggest disabling pseudo-swap
(change the kernel parameter 'swapmem_on' to 0)

Regards ... Mladen

Re: Crash Analysis Help

You could disable dynamic buffer cache
by setting bufpages to a value different from 0, e.g. 10000 (40megs) to avoid possible allocation/deallocation of buffer pages.

Verify you have the latest HPUX kernel patches
installed.

Consider updating Oracle RDBMS to the latest
patch level, there are many issues related
to excessive memory allocation by snapshot
or shadow processes and processes not releasing
memory.
We work in the dark, we do what we can, we give what we have, our doubt is our passion, and our passion is our task - the rest, is the madness of art - Henry James