1753753 Members
4894 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DB-LINK

Erkan Durmus_1
Occasional Contributor

DB-LINK

On a D380 server oracle 734 is used. I wanted to create a DB link to another DB(Oracle 8i). Strangely, oracle user couldn't connect to other DB, but the root user can connect to other DB using the same tnsnames.ora file. Owner of the tnsnames.file is oracle user. And oracle user can connect to other DB'es by using this tnsnmaes.ora file. What is the problem?
5 REPLIES 5
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi Erkan.
For problems like this please attach the file.
rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Dan Hetzel
Honored Contributor

Hi,

As root can connect and not oracle, this looks like a unix permissions issue.

Who is the owner of the new Oracle 8 ?
What are the permissions settings of the new oracle 8 directory?

Dan
Everybody knows at least one thing worth sharing -- mailto:dan.hetzel@wildcroft.com
John Palmer
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Is this a true Oracle link created with 'create database link' or simply a TNS setup so that you can do 'sqlplus /@' ?

What error message do you get from Oracle?

Regards,
John
John Palmer
Honored Contributor

Another thought...

Are you absolutely sure that root and oracle are both using the same tnsnames.ora file?

Oracle will source the file from:-

TNS_ADMIN variable if defined
ORACLE_HOME/network/admin
/etc

Look for differences between root's and oracle's environment.

Regards,
John
Erkan Durmus_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for all replays. I solved the problem. While working with security checks accedentaly only root user is set to access /etc/hosts file. And if I write IP address into tnsnames.ora file this did not worked with both users. Then I tried with servername in it. This time root worked but oracle user didn't. After giving u+g access on hosts file the problem is solved.