5588 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DISPLAY variable settings

Kamel Abada_2
Occasional Contributor

DISPLAY variable settings

Hi,

one of my customers is trying to run an oracle 11i report in a browser from a windows pc . The application is running on an HP 9000 superdome partition running HP-UX 11i.The report contains graphics which means that the xserver needs to be running on the server.

What are the settings for the DISPLAY variable?

Is the use of a third party program like reflection X mandatory?

Many thanks
4 REPLIES 4
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: DISPLAY variable settings

Hi:

Your PC must have some variation of an X emulator running. Reflection/X or eXceed are excellent candidates.

Set the DISPLAY variable to the IP address of the workstation and export it (Posix shell syntax shown) like this:

# export DISPLAY=n.n.n.n:0.0

You can test your configuration with 'xclock'.

Regards!

...JRF...
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi Kamel,

XVFB is the appropriate solution to your problem.

for more info see: http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1091623

You may also search this forum for more help. This issue has already been discussed several times.

kind regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Mancboy
Valued Contributor

Hi,
instead of messing about with X on the desktop, it would be better to use X on the server.
Try downloading VNC and running that on the server. By runnning VNC on the server, anybody can any X windows application directly on the server without the need for any slow add-ons to the PC. All you have to do is run vncserevr and the log file tells you what port number to connect to, for your private VNC / X session.

thanks