Did you mean: 

Database Performance Comparison Tips

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Database Performance Comparison Tips

DBA/Sysad Gurii,

What could I tell my DBA as far as comparing DB performance between platforms (Itanium and PARISC and even Linux?) For the PARISC/Itanium comparison -- the same disksets and database will be used. For the Linux test -- the same database will be used but Endian converted to the Linux format. All 3 Environments will use the exact same Storage Array with about the same FC Connections and storage layout.

The server environments will be "fairly" adjusted as to clock speed and CPU/Core count.

Some of you may suggest -- why not just run your applications suite against the databases? Well -- we do not have that luxury. The DBA/Us must come up with a suite of SQL/DB stress testing acitivites to fully sterss out the Database so it exposes the total interaction of the platforms memory, busses, I/O, etc.

I am thinking:

- complex SQL with calculations
- updates
- db inserts
- complex joins
- RMAN backups, extracts...?

Any thoughts?
Hakuna Matata.
3 REPLIES
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Database Performance Comparison Tips

How about database querries.
We had a few here that were written so badly they could nearly stop a box cold on the older 10.20 version. We saw improvement going from 10.20 to 11iv1.

Try finding or creating a few really nasty querries that are either asking for too much or where statement forces full table lookups.

Just a thought,
Rita
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

I have no suggestions but I ask that you post your findings..

I would find the results very interesting..

Regards.

Duncan Edmonstone
Honored Contributor

I'm surprised your DBA isn't familiar with swingbench:

http://www.dominicgiles.com/swingbench.php

I'm not sure how many of those tests you list swingbench does, but it's a reasonable starting point.

Rememebr to run swingbench itself as a client on the same platform for all tests, otherwise you'll be skewing your tests by testing how good the Java stack is on each system as well...

HTH

Duncan

HTH

Duncan