4837 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Disks not recognized by system

Rajasekhar Raman
Frequent Advisor

Disks not recognized by system

Hi All,

I replaced 6x18GB drives across 3 SC-10s with 6x73GB drives. Obviously, I exported the VG that was on them, then removed the drives, and then did a "rmsf" to remove the hardware paths.

I then put in the 73GB drives in the same slots and ran "ioscan" and then the "insf -e" to make sure the device files get created.

I noticed that only 3 of the 6 drives were noticed by the system. I get a "NO_HW" from the ioscan for the remaining 3 drives..

What does this mean ? I did try to put the 18GB drives in to see if they will be seen in these slots, ( did an ioscan, and the system did see the old drives ). Does it mean, I need a reboot ??

Any suggestions.

Thanks
-Shekar Raman
7 REPLIES 7
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

Yip, NO_HW means HP-UX cant see them. If youve tried replacing them back and forward and still cant see all 6 new ones then youre going to have to try a reboot next.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

NO_HW doesn't necessarily mean HP-UX cant see them, it means HP-UX can see them, but no driver is claiming them.

It can also mean, that HP-UX could see them (ie they were claimed at one point) but aren't now... and there wasnt a reboot since they went into a state of NO_HW.

If you reboot a box with Hw in a state of NO_HW, you will not see the HW show up _at_all_ after the next reboot.

Bill
It works for me (tm)
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

oops! got that wrong, UNKNOWN is when HP-UX has no driver for them..
It works for me (tm)
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

seems your other instance of this question was deleted...

when you inserted the disks, did you flick any jumpers on the bnack of the SC10. You could have put it into split bus mode.

dd if=/dev/disk device of=/dev/null

figure out what disks you see, (look for blinking leds), and see if they are all beside each other or in every second slot.

Note that the SC10 has a split backplane, and when in full bus mode, the BCC can access all 10 disks (once no scsi address conflict on the bus - can happen if you attempt a chain.)

When in split bus mode, the top BCC can only access every alternate disk ie: 0,2,4,6,8
and the bottom BCC can only access the 1,3....

Seeing as you have a state of NOHW - it means that they were once known to the OS (in a claimed state) and dropped out of the claimed state - suggesting hardware problems or hardware state changes -ie rotary dial change or BCC jumpers changes.

attach the ioscan -fnkC disk output.

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)
Rajasekhar Raman
Frequent Advisor

The SC10 switches have not been touched. It is operating in split-bus mode, and are not daisy chained. Each channel is hooked up to a separate controller.

Also, the puzzling fact is that some of the drives I replaced are being recognized by the system!!! So it cannot be a driver issue.

These are brand new drives, and I am not willing to believe that 3 of them could be bad. I want to avoid a reboot if possible.

-Shekar
Rajasekhar Raman
Frequent Advisor

Please disregard my query -

As usual, most answers lie in the obvious!! I looked at the drives that were not being recognized, and they had been mounted in reverse on the bracket, with the connector facing inwards!!! Now it would take a really smart advanced OS to recognize THAT!!

Thanks for all your responses nevertheless!

-Shekar
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

BTW...
run # man ioscan to see what the different states refer to.

-Bob
----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!