3678 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Do we need restart OS/Server after change tcp_conn_request_max parameter

SOLVED
Go to solution

Do we need restart OS/Server after change tcp_conn_request_max parameter

Dear All,
We have rx5670 11i v2 HP-UX 11.23 Cluster server running Oracle 9i Production Billing Database.
Now present configuration is below:
# ndd /dev/tcp tcp_conn_request_max
#

Oracle support team want to increase the value
# ndd -set /dev/tcp tcp_conn_req_max_q 10240.

Is there any impact on HP-UX OS or Cluster? Do we need to restart the Server?
Thanks
Khairul
2 REPLIES 2
nanan
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hi
you don't need to restart the server
you can chnage the parameter on fly
and to maintain the same parameter even reboot the system, reflect the information into nddconf file

good luck

regards
nanan
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

Hi Khairul,

I guess it depends on what you mean by "server". You do not need to restart/reboot the *system* for this parameter to take effect. You may need to restart your *application* for the parameter to take effect.

I believe (and Rick Jones can correct me if I'm wrong here) that most ndd parameters like this one only affect new TCP connections established after the parameter change. In other words, any existing TCP connections would not assume the new behavior, only connections made after the parameter change.

If your application uses persistent TCP connections that are already established when you change the parameter, you might need to stop and restart the application to get the TCP connections to use the new settings.

Regards,

Dave
I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo