New Discussion юеВ

EVA and Oracle

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gerald Taylor
Frequent Advisor

EVA and Oracle

Hello All,

We have just picked up an EVA4000. All is reduntant, there are two disk groups with 14 disk a piece. My question is about the Unix filesystem settings in particular.

nodatainlog Vs datainlog
delaylog Vs log

Also should we bypass the unix buffer cache with "mincache=direct" and "convosync=direct" Does anyone have experience with these various options and could offer advice?

Gerald
9 REPLIES 9
Julio Yamawaki
Esteemed Contributor

Re: EVA and Oracle

Hi,

Are you going to use Oracle 10g?
Why not using ASM?
ASM seems to be very good with EVA, also, ASM has some issues, like redundancy groups, load balancing, etc.
Try this.

Regards,

Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Hi Gerald,

I think you should use delaylog,nodatainlog,mincache=direct,convosync=direct for database files volume and delaylog,datainlog for apps files volume. Pay also attention to the max_dbc_pct and min_dbc_pct values...

Best Regards,

Eric Antunes
Each and every day is a good day to learn.
RAC_1
Honored Contributor

First options mincache=direct, convosync=direct requires OnlineJFS product.

This is additional $$ product.

Now if you look at man page of vxfs_mount, it says that datainlog and nodatainlog apply to synchrous writes. nodatainlog requires OnlineJFS.

Check following thread and my response in that. It has great document that talks about it in depth.

There is not much of performance improvement with nodatainlog.

Also nodatainlog means samll writes(less than 8kb) are not logged immediatley, but little later. So, there is a element of data intrgrety involved. I always choose datainlog.

About, mincache and convosync, in case of oracle you can do that. It makes sense to avoid double caching-at oracle level and fs level. But studies have shown that it does do great improvement to performance. But still ok to do that to get that very little performance improvement.

There is no substitute to HARDWORK
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Yogeeraj,

nodatainlog does not require OnlineJFS. Just mincache and convosync...

What is the data integrity risk for nodatainlog?

Best Regards,

Eric Antunes
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Yogeeraj,

Read the last paragraph at page 6 of the attached document about nodatainlog option or search for nodatainlog to read all about this mount option.

Best Regards,

Eric Antunes
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Not Yogeeraj but RAC, sorry.
Jean-Luc Oudart
Honored Contributor
Solution

Gerald

you should read this previous thread regarding performance
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=960829
and my own thread (back in 2003 !)
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=193104

Regards
Jean-Luc
fiat lux
Gerald Taylor
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for all your responses, especially Jean the cook book provided the most detailed and useful information. The manual page on "mount_vxfs" just wasn't enough information from my prospective. Since this is a new system I will use what we have always used on non-EVA systems (delaylog and datainlog). Once we can get a Baseline on the database performance I can begin to fine tune it.

Thanks.

Gerald
Gerald Taylor
Frequent Advisor

closed.