Re: Export to another version

SOLVED
Go to solution
Vogra
Regular Advisor

Export to another version

Hi All,
please help me...
what I really need to do to create an export from Oracle 8.1.6 version to Oracle 8.0.5 version... It's simple to run catexp from another version? And after that, to restore my standart environment, only run catexp ?
Thanx in advance.
Lima.
We are spirits in the material world
7 REPLIES 7
Brian Crabtree
Honored Contributor
Solution

What you will want to do, is from the 8.1.6 version, run the 8.0.5 catexp.sql from ?/rdbms/admin. Then, use the 8.0.5 export binaries to export the data. You might have to export through SQL*Net for this to work. Once this is complete, use the 8.0.5 binaries to import into the 8.0.5 database.

Please note, that 8.0.5 has some problems connecting to 8i versions. It would be better to use 8.0.6, which is more stable and supported by Oracle over 8.0.5.

Brian
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

You need to use the 8.0.5 export binaries to export the data from the 8i database.

What you can do is from the 8.0.5 Oracle machine use SQLNet to configure the remote 8i database,then run 8.0.5 export to export the 8i database.

Then you can import the dump on the 8.0.5.

REvert
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Higher level versions of export are not compatible with lower level RDBMS versions. You should not run any other version of catexp.sql in the database as it will effect the operation of your normal export of that database.

If you want to generate an export of the 8.1.6 database for import into the 8.0.5 database, you need to run the export from the 8.0.5 $ORACLE_HOME against the 8.1.6 database using SQL*Net. The resulting export file is compatible with and can be imported into the 8.0.5 database.

So makesure your ORACLE_HOME is pointing to 8.0.5 when using exp and ORACLE_SID=816 database. Then when importing ORACLE_HOME=8.0.5 and ORACLE_SID=8.0.5 database

Never give up, Keep Trying
Vogra
Regular Advisor

Hi all,
my doubt was about I need binaries from 8.0.5 version. If I understood, I need to run catexp7.sql im O8.1.6 and from 8.0.5 instalation, run exp trhough 8.1.6 instalation, it's right? In other words, I need to have an Oracle 8.0.5 instaled, ok?
Thanks to all,
Lima.
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

catexp7.sql

was introduced for importing 8,8i or 9 oracle data into 7.x versions.

Yes you should have a 805 installed.

Thanks
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

Normally, to move data DOWN a version(s), you need to export using that lower versions EXP tool and IMP using that lower versions tool.

To move data UP a version, you export using the EXP of the database that contains the data and you IMP using the imp that ships with the TARGET database.

Eg:

to move data from 8.0 to 7.3:

o run catexp7 in the 8.0 database.
o exp73 over sqlnet to the 8.0 database.
o imp73 natively into the 7.3 database.

to move data from 7.3 to 8.1

o exp73 natively on the 7.3 instance
o imp natively using the 8.1 imp.exe

You might find the sqlplus COPY command to be a nice tool as well as it avoids the intermediate files and just copies data about. Its pretty fast too.

In your case, you can export directly from the 8.0.5.
exp userid=scott/tiger@ora186 owner=scott

hope this helps!
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Vogra
Regular Advisor

Ok! I have no doubt anymore...
Thanx so much.
Lima.