1748034 Members
5133 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Gnome for HPUX released

Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Don't worry Alex this is an FYI post, not a post asking for help.

I have installed GNOME on 2 HP-UX 11.11 machines. The site recommends 11.0, but I gave it a shot and it runs on 11.11 (11i) as well.

So far I am pretty impressed. There are some things that don't work, but they say that on the web site too.

The only problem I've found so far that I find somewhat troubling is that Gnome currently does NOT work when the system is Trusted.

I installed it on a trusted system but could not log in. I untrusted the system and everything worked fine then.

Just thought some of you might like to know.
Neil Dixon
Advisor

I've installed it on my B2000 and it certains appears to be quicker then CDE. perhaps that's down to the window manager.

Problems:- Doesn't appear to handle my UK keyboard very well.
Using xmodmap I can persuade xterm windows to handle the 'pipe' symbol, but it always comes out as a 'broken bar' when using Gnome Terminal.
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

Hey Alex,

just read on slashdot, that Ximian will doing an XP Office style subscription of $9 a month pretty soon..

Know anything about that?

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)
David Heath_1
Advisor

Neil,

I have installed Gnome and also have been having trouble with my pipe key. I have a UK keyboard and have been using shift and the backslash key instead of the pipe key, but as you say it gives a broken pipe in the Gnome xterm window. When I use this pipe though it still doesn't work. Do you have anymore suggestions?

Thanks,

David.