New Discussion юеВ

HELP!!!Oracle conversion characters

SOLVED
Go to solution
Vogra
Regular Advisor

HELP!!!Oracle conversion characters

Hi All!
I had been the error ORA-01722 - invalid number. If possible, how can i solve this without any changes in the programs?
We are spirits in the material world
4 REPLIES 4
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Re: HELP!!!Oracle conversion characters

Hi there.
You should check the data, which were going to be converted. The character string, you wanted to convert, was not a valid numeric literal.
Check the data in hex format, if necessary.
Valid for this conversion :
only numbers, a sign, decimal point, character 'E' or 'e'

Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Vogra
Regular Advisor

Alex,
I had a DB with LS_CHARACTERSET = WE8ISO8859P1 and LS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET = WE8ISO8859P1; After migrate to another server/Oracle version (from 8.0.5 to 8.1.6) some aplications do not recognize some data. The msg I got is ORA-01722. My big problem is that I do not have the source code (in this moment) to correct. But i didn't understand that if I do not change de characterset, why I get this error...?
We are spirits in the material world
Jared Westgate_1
Valued Contributor

Hello Claudio,

What are you doing when you get this error? Are you importing data? Or maybe, is that data already in the database and an application is raising this error?

Unfortunately, there are very different solutions, depending on exactly what is causing the error. If you are getting this error from SQL loader, you should check the data to make sure that it is a valid number. If you are getting this error from an application, it could be that you are calling a procedure, trigger or someother statement that is expecting a number, but did not receive it.

I guess I'm just not convinced that the error is necessarily coming from the character set of the database.

If you have any more information, please let us know. I hope this was of some help to you.

Jared
ajax13
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Hi,
My response will assume that your application that is trying to access the database resides on a windows NT and it is using ODBC connection. The problem may be related to this msorcl32.dll. If that is the case you may wanna upgrade service pack or you could look at this from microsoft website
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q216/9/78.ASP
I would for sure try this in a development box first.