Operating System - HP-UX
1752530 Members
4708 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Business copy and Oracle backup

HP Business copy and Oracle backup

Hi folks !
We're going to use HP Bussines Copy on VA7410 disk system for Oracle backup. I'm very concerned about possibility of restore from such backup. It'll a mission critical DB and we can not afford close DB for backup. But it'll look like a DB after "shutdowm abort" command. IFAIK Oracle strognly recomends do not shutdown DB with "abort" option.
What can you say ?
4 REPLIES 4
Sunil Sharma_1
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Business copy and Oracle backup

Business copy will use oracle online backup kind of operation.in this steps will be like this. first your business copy volume and data volume will be in sysnc and before spliting it you have to put oracle in backup mode and then deattach business copy from data and during the split whatever archive files generated you have to backup them with control file.

*** Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today ***
malay boy
Trusted Contributor

never use shutdown abort.If you are in deep problem and shutdown immediate cannot work then used shutdown abort.Beside that never use shutdown abort.

We also have mission critical DB and to close for backup is impossible.So Oracle have a Online backup.Meant that no need to shutdown database but still can do backup.This is called Online backup.But you database must be in archivelog mode to do Online backup.That's the requirement.

Or if your database is mirrored and user allowed to shutdown the database for 10 minutes.What you can do is :

1) shutdown the database.
2) split mirror
3) mount mirror copy
4) backup database.

uhm!!! if my answer is *nonsense* I guest I'm really sleepy.

mB

There are three person in my team-Me ,myself and I.

Well, a shutdown of DB is not acceptable for us. But Oracle online backup mechanism has been used by us for a long time on our current poduction systems. So, You mean I have to shitch whole database to backup mode. Unfortunatelly, I don't know any command to place whole DB in online backup state. Does it mean that I'll have to issue "alter tablespace ... begin backup" command for each tablespace in my DB before the backup, and "alter tablespace ... end backup" after it ? And I couldn't userstood what will I have to do with archived logs. It's clear for traditional backup. Is it possible that lgwr process is writing an archived log when split do ?
malay boy
Trusted Contributor

hope this help.

You are right.The online backup is per tablespace.Which are :

1) alter tablespace ... begin backup.
2) After you backup the datafile using O/S utilities (fbackup or tar ..) , then do
alter tablespace ...end backup.

You question :

And I couldn't userstood what will I have to do with archived logs

Answer: well before you do alter tablespace...begin backup,your database MUST be in archivelog mode.
You can check using :

select log_mode from v$database;

Log as dba.

if you database not running archived log and you issue as below,you will hit error:

SQL> alter tablespace users begin backup;
alter tablespace users begin backup
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01123: cannot start online backup; media recovery not enabled

Your Question:
Is it possible that lgwr process is writing an archived log when split do ?

Answer:
Well when you do a split disk,now you have two copies of database.So you bring up the database which reside on primary disk and backup using the mirror disk.(Remember you need to mount the mirror disk).lgwr are still running as normal writing to archived log because database which reside in primary disk are running.
But you cannot use this option as your database are need to run at all time.

hope this help.

regards
mB
There are three person in my team-Me ,myself and I.