108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP-UX 32 and 64 bit and ORACLE 8.1.7

NS_2
Occasional Contributor

HP-UX 32 and 64 bit and ORACLE 8.1.7

Hi Masters,
Hello,
We have one D class server with HP-UX 11 32 Bit and one L-class server with HP-UX 11 64 Bit in cluster. Currently our application is running in ORACLE 7.3.4.5 and now we want to upgrade it to ORACLE8.1.7
Standard Edition. L-Class server with 64 bit OS will be the primary server for our oracle application and D-class with 32 bit OS will be the secondary server is case L-Class server crash.
So, my question is whether the above combination of hardware, OS and Oracle software will work or will be having any problem in implementing. Pl. share your views.
Note: With oracle 8.1.7 we will be using Developer 6i and PRO*C as front end (Chracter Based Forms).
Take It Easy, Be Happy !
3 REPLIES 3
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Hi,

if you are about a primary (production) and secondary (test and failover) system, then you will have to run the same version of software on both of them, which would be Oracle8.1.7 in 32bit.
Only then you will have the same set of Oracle-patches to install on both of them, and hence the chance to test those patches on your "secondary" system first!
Depending on your D-class's CPU you could even run HP-UX 11 in 64bit on it! Then even the HP-UX patches would be the same (well, almost - excluding hardware and firmware patches, of course).
But it would be as close as you can get with non-identical hardware...
And you could simply copy over the Oracle code and data files from one system to the other. Like restoring the Oracle-backup from the primary to your secondary - to verify your backups ARE working!

FWIW,
Wodisch
NS_2
Occasional Contributor

Hi,
I forgot to mention that my database is model 20 disk array connected to above cluster.

Thanks.
Take It Easy, Be Happy !
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Hi again,

does that mean that you
a) have a single database (i.e. one set of files) which you alternatively connect to one of the two servers?
b) have two independend databases (sets of files) where each one is continuesly connect to one and only one of the two servers?
c) you have a single database in raw-devices (NOT filesystems) which are continously connected to BOTH servers, which in turn do run "Oracle Parallel Server" (=OPS), NOT Oracle Enterprise Server?

For a) you simply MUST have the same (=identical) version of Oracle codefiles! Even the same patch-level...

For b) that's the simplest form, and as long you do not intend to copy over datafiles from one database to the other it does not matter wether your two Oracle-installations are the same release or not.

For c) The "datafiles", "redo-logfiles", and "controlfiles" must be "raw-devices", but each instance needs its own (and slightly different) "init*ora" (=parameterfile).

So, what are your goals in more detail?

HTH,
Wodisch