108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HPDPS and /opt/pd/lib/model

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mike_316
Frequent Advisor

HPDPS and /opt/pd/lib/model

I am trying to educate myself on some boxes I have inherited. Specifically the function and usage of some "printer model" scripts in the /opt/pd/lib/model directory.

As I understand it, these scripts are designed to "set up" a printer to certain specifications for printing PCL5. Are these scripts intended for use by a software program which CANNOT communicate with PCL5 and, thus, these scripts interpret the print job INTO PCL5 so the printer can interpret them correctly?

And in the directory, "/opt/pd/lib/model" what software does the "pd" part regard?

I would greatly appreciate any input, information and tutorials regarding this subject...I.E. The software attached to it, what the scripts do, how they are configured, ETC. The script in question starts out with this header, obviously generated by HP ...

#!/usr/bin/sh
## @(#) $Header: PCL5,v 80.2 96/10/14 23:55:25 ssa Exp $
###############################################################################
##
## Interface Program for PCL5
##
## This interface program file, which is based on PCL5 interface program
## file for LP spooler, is intended for use by HPDPS supervisor. Generally,
## interface programs which are used in the LP spooler can be used in the
## HPDPS environment. However, the following changes are required:
##
## o Write the log and error messages to standard error output instead of
## /var/adm/lp/log, which is the log file used by the LP spooler. The
## messages written to standard error output are logged by HPDPS supervisor.
##
## o Don't rely on the LP spooler. It may not be installed.

The rest of the script is more information stuff and then the settings themselves.

Thanks!
Mike
"If we treated each person we met as if they were carrying an unspeakable burden, we might treat each other as we should" - Dale Carnegie
1 REPLY 1
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: HPDPS and /opt/pd/lib/model

Here's a thread that discusses HPDPS that I think will help you:
http://docs.hp.com/cgi-bin/fsearch/framedisplay?top=/hpux/onlinedocs/B2355-90678/B2355-90678_top.html&con=/hpux/onlinedocs/B2355-90678/00/00/6-con.html&toc=/hpux/onlinedocs/B2355-90678/00/00/6-toc.html&searchterms=hpdps&queryid=20011227-155635

And the /opt/pd....well you will find as you read through this documentation that commands here start with pd (pdcreate; pdenable, etc).

Hope this helps,
Rita