108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPUX 11.0: Oracle 8.1.7 Installation

SOLVED
Go to solution
LG Porter
Frequent Advisor

HPUX 11.0: Oracle 8.1.7 Installation

I have a N4000 class server running HP UNIX 11.0. I am attempting to install Oracle 8.1.7 however I learned that the installation requires a GUI interface or X-Windows. Due to firewall constraints, we are only allowed telnet sessions into the server. Is this the only method of installation on this verion of Oracle or is there a alterative method for which users can use a generic telnet to perform the installation?
5 REPLIES 5
George A Bodnar
Trusted Contributor

Unfortunately not. In fact even the "userless" installation requires an X server to bounce against.

If for some reason you had X running on the same side of the firewall as the server you could use the "userless" installation - which requires creating prompt files - and have the X display bounce against that. You wouldn't see it but it would work.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

You are now the lucky victim of a new Oracle feature. You must use the GUI. You either need to do an install inside the firewall or get the network admin to open some ports for you. Moreover, if this is a dial-up or even an ISDN connection, X is painfully slow.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Jordan Bean
Honored Contributor

Install SSH and use X tunneling. Have the firewall admin open port 22 tcp.

Brian Crabtree
Honored Contributor
Solution

If you can do it, you can use vnc to connect to the X windows session on the server. You need to run the server under your user on the server, and then connect through a proxy to the machine from your PC or workstation, but it works pretty well.

Brian
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

As Brian points out, using "VNC" or the "xvfb" (X-Windows Virtual Frame buffer, part of HP's X-server for some months if not a year) might be your way to go for. Then you can point your "$DISPLAY" environment variable to that, and still use the command line approach to install oracle. You will have to modify the "answer" file to your needs, though. There are some examples on the Oracle CD-ROM itself, already...

HTH,
Wodisch