108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPUX Error: 32: Broken pipe

yc_2
Regular Advisor

HPUX Error: 32: Broken pipe

Hi,

Appreciate whoever gives a pointer:

The above message appeared in the log when starting oracle listener.

1) What does it mean ?
2) How to overcome ?

Environment:
HP-UX 11:00, N-class
Oracle OTG 9i netservices

Rgds,
YC
4 REPLIES 4
Tom Geudens
Honored Contributor

Hi,
There's several "cases" on the forums about this issue. This one seems to cover it :
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x7501d311e18ad5118ff10090279cd0f9,00.html

If not, try a search "Broken pipe" on the forums ...

Hope this helps,
Tom Geudens
A life ? Cool ! Where can I download one of those from ?
Andreas D. Skjervold
Honored Contributor

Hi

First check that the listsner.log file hasn't crown out of size.

Second check your listener.ora for errors, and that you're using the right one. Set TNS_ADMIN parameter if placed elsewhere than $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin. If using trace check that trace directory excists.

Third Metalink reports on a error that might occur if you start the OTG from a shellscript:
http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_database_id=NOT&p_id=50240.1

Andreas
Only by ignoring what everyone think is important, can you be aware of what everyone ignores!
Andreas D. Skjervold
Honored Contributor

I ofcourse meant GROWN out of size.

Hope not anyone here has a CROWN thats to big.

Andreas
"With a big Graduate hat"
Only by ignoring what everyone think is important, can you be aware of what everyone ignores!
Steven Gillard_2
Honored Contributor

From a networking point of view a "broken pipe" error just means the application tried to send(2) data on a socket that was connected but is no longer (see the send man page for a description). It may mean that the client end in your case has a problem, because its shutting down its connection before the listener is ready for this to happen - ie the listener still has data to send but the client is no longer there. There's nothing wrong with the listener.

Regards,
Steve