1752290 Members
5309 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPUX and async file systems

jtfischer
Occasional Contributor

HPUX and async file systems

Quick question. Is async i/o supported for a "cooked" file system under oracle 9i and hpux 11.11 or higher?

I see that its enabled on my system as oracle shows async i/o on file reads and writes, but remembered that it only works with raw files systems before.

Just wondering of anyone is running async on HPUX running a cooked file system.
4 REPLIES 4
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Not with regular xvfs or JFS , I hear it is available with the real Veritas file system, and/or as an option to ServiceGuard for 11.23.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
jtfischer
Occasional Contributor

I know it works with veritas and the quick i/o option which makes the cooked file system look like raw to oracle. But the question is can you use just basic vxfs to support aysnc i/o in oracle and if it is turned on what issues might it cause?

Ariel Cary
Frequent Advisor

Async IO is NOT supported on file systems, only on raw devices and particular volume managers like Veritas. You said your instance is configured for async io, but do check if DBWR is opening /dev/async and successfully writing on it.

-Ariel

Are there performance benefits running th instance in async io, if the cooked filesystem does not support it? What is happenning when /dev/async does not exist and the instance is in async io? The instance still runs OK