108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPUX and routing

Matt Huntley
Occasional Advisor

HPUX and routing

I have an HP9000 running HPUX 10.20. This system has 3 nic's. each configured:
Each has itself as a default gateway.
ipforwarding is set = 1 (nettune -s ip_forwarding 1)
From this box, I am able to ping everything on each subnet.

Now, what I'd like to do, is, from a device on the 1.0 subnet, telnet to a device on the 2.0 subnet. This fails.

I've tried to add routes to the remote devices, pointing them to the "other" HP gateways, but this has had no luck.

I also tried to add a second gateway to one of the nic's.. ie, have 192.168.1.200 have a gateway of 192.168.2.200, (route add net 192.168.2.0 192.168.1.200). This causes devices on the 1.0 subnet to disapear, untill the route is deleted.

Should I do "route add net 192.168.2.0 192.168.2.200"?

Anyhow, if someone knows of a way to force multiple gateway routes to an HP9000 I'd like to hear.

Thanks,
Matt-
8 REPLIES 8
Anthony Goonetilleke
Esteemed Contributor

firstly can you post a netstat -rn this will give a bit more info.
Minimum effort maximum output!
Alan Riggs
Honored Contributor

IF I understand you correctly, you have 1 system with three NICs, each on a separate subnet.

You are able to ping the box from one subnet to another, but you are not able to telnet from one subnet to another.

Is this correct? If so, it seems less of a routing problem and more of a tcp configuration problem. Not to dwell on the obvious, but can you telnet to the box from anywhere else?
Matt Huntley
Occasional Advisor

I'll get the netstat -rn..

I am able to telnet to the HP from any subnet. However, I cannot ping or telnet from subnet 1 to subnet 2. what I can do is, once the route is added on (some other box), ping the HP's address on any subnet.

I'm not sure if it's a tcp issue or routing, but it sounds and actls like a routing issue. Because when I try and create new routes on the HP, my original ones no longer work.
Brian M. Fisher
Honored Contributor

What is the the machine on subnet 1 using as it's default route to get to subnet 2? Is there a router also or is this machine using the HP as the router?

Brian
<*(((>< er
Perception IS Reality
Matt Huntley
Occasional Advisor

That's just it.. I can't get from subnet to subnet, and when I put a route into the HP, it causes greif.

As I said in the original problem / question. Each nic card is configured with an address... 192.168.102.200, and default gateway = 192.168.102.200.. and so on.. for each card.
When I try and add a route,
route add net 192.168.102.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.102.200
I get greif, this "new" route, overrides the default gateway, and I'm no longer able to see devices on this subnet.

So, there aren't any routes from subnet to subnet... Problems arrise when I try and set them....
which is what I'm trying to do, and what the question was to begin with...

How do I add multiple gateways (routes)???
Alan Riggs
Honored Contributor

Definitely a routing issue -- I was not clear on your first post. Please do post the results of netstat -rn. Also ifconfig lanX for each lan card.
Rashid Ali
Frequent Advisor

Are you going to use this box as a router or you have another router in place?
If it is the previous case, I am afraid it may not work. If there is a router, then you can define default gateway for each subnet. But the problem is you can only have one default gateway, so you may need to add in some static route using "route add".
Dale McNamara
Frequent Advisor

Are you trying to connect/contact systems on the other subnets from the server, or your workstation?

If you are having problems with the server, check your netmask. You will probably have to change it from the 255.255.255.0 it sets to by default to a more open setting based on the actual IP addresses you are using (255.255.0.0 at most).