New Discussion юеВ

HPUX error 12 - Not enough space

SOLVED
Go to solution
Anthony Hill
Occasional Advisor

HPUX error 12 - Not enough space

Hello,

I have an N-Class HP-UX 11 64-bit server with 3Gb memory. When the Oracle SGA was recently increased from <1Gb to >1Gb I received the following error message in my Oracle logs:

SVRMGR> ORA-07306:sms1sg: shmget error, unable to get a shared memory segment.
HP-UX Error: 12: Not enough space.

The Oracle instance then failed to start. What is an Error 12 or where can I look to find it out for myself.

Thanks in advance,
Anthony.
Blood is thicker than water... and it tastes better too!
14 REPLIES 14
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: HPUX error 12 - Not enough space

Hi:

Check in /usr/include/sys/errno.h; errno 12 is ENOMEM; you need to increase maxdsiz (maxdsiz_64bit for 64-bit apps). You also need to check shmmax.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
eran maor
Honored Contributor

Hi

it is clear that the problem is with the memory but you didnt send any more that like your params or your swap config .

i will advise you to change the params :
maxdsiz
you can increase it by * 2 .

also check to see what is the state of your swap , the swap shuold be * 2 the size of the memory .

if you computer is not ! an nfs server change the dbc_max_pct to 10
and the dbc_min_pct to 5 to increase the memory usage in your computer .

if you want to read on this params check this link : http://docs.hp.com//hpux/onlinedocs/os/KCparams.OverviewAll.html
love computers
S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor

From my experience, HP-UX Error 12 usually indicate that you need more swap space. Increase or add additional device swap and see what happens.

hope this helps ..
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Anthony:

Error-12 points to 'maxdsiz' or swap. Don't forget to look at your swap utilization:

# swapinfo -tam

Regards!

...JRF...
Robin Wakefield
Honored Contributor

Hi Anthony,

Sys 12 error:

During execution of an exec routine, a program asked for more space than the system was able to supply. The error may also occur if the arrangement of text, data, and stack segments requires too many segmentation registers, or if there is not enough swap space during execution of the fork routine.

Rgds, Robin.
Anthony Hill
Occasional Advisor

Where can I find what maxdsiz is set to at the moment?

We currently have 9Gb of swap. shmmax is currently set to 17Gb. If If the memory is 3Gb and swap is 9Gb, should shmmax not be set to 12Gb?

Thanks Again,
Anthony.
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

gointo SAM, select kernel, select configurable params, scroll down till you get to it.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Anthony:

Yoy can simply do a sysdef command. You can also go to SAM->Kernel Configuration->Configurable Parameters to see a fgew more that sysdef does not display plus some online help.

As for setting SHMMAX, it should be far less than even your 12GB; there has to be something leftover for programs, OS, data, and other such trivial things. Remember, if you have 12GB as shared memory (or even 9GB) you would be swapping like a madman. Reduce it to something like 2GB.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Anthony Hill
Occasional Advisor

These are the current settings:
maxdsiz = 67108864
maxdsiz_64bit = 1073741824
shmmax = 17179869184

Should maxdsiz_64bit be increased or maxdsiz?

Anthony