1752700 Members
5590 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Help with File System in UNIX

Erik Rios
Occasional Contributor

Help with File System in UNIX

Hi All, some know how I can extend the file system in UNIX, Im begginer in this case, and my DBA and Unix Admin, not work more in my company, so What I can do, to resolve this?

Thanks for your comments.

Regards
Always to Help U
6 REPLIES 6
Victor_5
Trusted Contributor

Re: Help with File System in UNIX

umount /myfile
extendfs /dev/vg01/rmyfile
mount /myfile
bdf

See man for more.
Joseph C. Denman
Honored Contributor

Use sam. It is easier for a newbie.

sam
disk and file systems

...jcd...
If I had only read the instructions first??
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Erik,

I doubt that Shawn's instruction will do you much good unless you do an lvextend first.

Follow Joseph's advive and use SAM->Disks & Filesystems->Logical Volumes.

It will walk you through the steps of extending a logical volume including the filesystem that is contained within it.

Hopefully, you have OnlineJFS and this can all be done 'on the fly'. Some filesystems e.g. /
can not be extended. You must also have space available.

Clay

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Sachin Patel
Honored Contributor

Hi Erik,
attach the disk with your system.
As a root
#ioscan -fnCdisk
#insf -e (If you don't see word claimed)
#pvcreate /dev/rdsk/c?t?d?. (be careful this will remove anything from disk)

#umount /dir
vgextend vg0? /dev/dsk/c?t?d? (do more /etc/fstab to find out which vg belogs to /dir. vgdisplay -v vg?? to find all information about vg)
lvextend -L SIZE /dev/vg0?/lvol? (look /etc/fstab file for it)
extendfs -F hfs /dev/vg0?/rlvol?
mount /dir

Sachin

Is photography a hobby or another way to spend $
Jared Westgate_1
Valued Contributor

Hey Erik,

The easiest way is to go into an Xwindow session (if you have it). Type in "sam" at a terminal prompt. This will start SAM (System Administration Manager).

Go to 'Disks and Filesystems' -> 'Logical Volumes'. Highlight the volume you would like to extend. If you are not sure which one it is, look all the way to the right and it will list the mount point.

With the volume highlighted, go to the 'action' menu at the top and select 'Increase Size'. It will then pop up a small window that will tell you how much space is available. Enter the new size that you want in the window and click ok. Remember this is the total new size, not how much you want to increase it by.

For example, if it is 1000 Mbytes and you want to increase it by 500Mbytes, enter 1500 at the prompt NOT 500.

If you have online JFS, or if no users are on that filesystem, it will handle everything else automatically. If SAM gives an error that it 'Could not unmount' the filesystem, that means that there are users on it. Just come back here and we'll be happy to let you know how to get around that.

I hope this helps,

Jared
jwestgat@excite.com
Shahul
Esteemed Contributor

Hi

I will list down the procedure for adding a new HDD and extending VG to this HDD and then extending lvols and filesystems. If U are not adding new HDD, remove those steps and use the remaining steps as per ur requirement.

physically add the new HDD.
#ioscan -fnC disk

Now it will list down all HDDs. Find out ur HDD's device file by using scsi ID. then

#diskinfo /dev/rdsk/cxtxdx

Make sure U selected device file is correct.

#pvcreate -f /dev/dsk/cxtxdx
#vgextend /dev/vgx /dev/dsk/cxtxdx

Now vg extended
#lvextend -L "size" /dev/vgx/lvolx
#umount "filsystem"
#extendfs /dev/vgx/rlvolx

#mount -a

If U need any more information. Please reply with details.

Best of luck

Shahul