1751751 Members
4182 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How I know How many memory get Oracle and Unix

GerGon
Regular Advisor

How I know How many memory get Oracle and Unix

I have RP unix box with ux.11 I want to know How many memory is using by OS and how many from Oracle and how many from user process.
The box had 1Gb ram and Oracle SGA is 400Mb, I need to increase it, but before I must be know if I can do?
9 REPLIES 9
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

If you have Glance, bring up glance and look it.

The first thing I'd do is add more RAM to the machine though.

1GB on an rp (which rp? - 24xx, 54xx, 74xx?) running Oracle is not much. I would increase it to at least 4GB.
David_246
Trusted Contributor

Gerardo,

I think the best to do is assign points to all those people who helped you before. (you never did to anybody)
After that I have some scripts for you that might help.

Regs David

Info :
Just login, assign points to your previous questions and hit submit
@yourservice
GerGon
Regular Advisor

I don't have glance, somebody did this before, I saw vmstat and this options but isn't clear to me.
GerGon
Regular Advisor

How assign ponts, I choose it and then press submit, but nothing happend?
milaren
Super Advisor

what about
#ipcs -b
keith persons
Valued Contributor

The ipcs command will provide some maximums but by itself, won't provide all the info desired. Without Glance, it will be a manual procedure that will only provide a general approximation - and even Glance data will not be 100% accurate - several numbers reported by Glance are estimates and not actual counts (cost too high for accurate accounting). If you don't have access to the Glance trial bits then you'll need info from ps -elf (at least the SZ column), ipcs output, some sar data and probably vmstat. The data points will then need to be manually coalesced for any meaningful interpretation.

Keith
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Oracle needs a lot more than 400megs for SGA in most database applications. And your kernel has probably not been changed to stop using up to 500megs of RAM for the buffer cache, so if you add it all up, you're way over the 1Gb of RAM already. You can verify this with this command:

vmstat

The output from vmstat will show the number of page-outs that occur (the po column) and if this number is more than 10 to 20 (repeat the command several times during the busiest times), then your system is swapping pages out of memory and slowing everything.

You can collect all the data from various system components such as the buffer cache, shared memory, shared libraries, memory mapped files, processes, kernel structures, etc but it is quite complicated. Suffice it to say that knowing this level of detail will not help as 1Gb is just too small for Oracle products.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
GerGon
Regular Advisor

Thanks to all, for your answers.
Why I put the point assigment and press "submit" but I can't see the points assigned?
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

You may have to try multiple times to get the points assignment to work. I have to do that. I generally assign points once, go back to the message to check and assign them again. The 2nd time it usually works for me.