6413 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How do I setup an ODBC connection?

HPSD
Occasional Advisor

How do I setup an ODBC connection?

Hi all,

I am using HP-UX 11.11 and I need to setup an ODBC connection. Does anyone have procedures on how to do this?

Thanks in advance!
-JT
5 REPLIES 5
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

I don't think you're gonna make any headway with this. *If* you do - I'll be watching this thread to see how!
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
HPSD
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

perhaps ODBC is not correct. I need to connect to a .csv file and read it as a database. Does anyone know how I should approach this?

Thanks again!
-JT
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Well, are you reading it into an Oracle Database perhaps? Then you would use their SQL*Loader product. Or you could write a ksh script to generate a SQL*Plus script that does a bunch of inserts (though SQL*Loader is there to do that for you already). You could also consider XML. You could also write a C program to read between the commas and stick it in your database of choice. You could write a perl program to connect to your favorite database, there exists a pretty large collection of pre-built database "connectors" at CPAN.org for perl. The possibilities are pretty endless and depend on what you're using as a database and what languages you're willing to consider.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If you have a .csv file and you want to load the data into an oracle database then use sqlldr utility.

If the .csv file is on a windows server or your PC then ftp the file to the server where your database is and then you can use the sqlldr utility to load the data.

You will require the control file which will have the table column type and length definitions and your .csv file will be the data file. Here is the syntax of sqlldr.

sqlldr username/password control=/path/control_file_name data=path/data_file_name.csv errors=99999 log=/path/file_name.log bad=/path/file_name.bad

Where your control will be the control file, data will be the data file (csv file) , log will be the output log file which telles number of records read, loaded and rejected if any, and bad will be the bad file (text file) which contains the rejected records.

for more info on sqlldr, logon to the server as oracle and type sqlldr HELP=Y nad you will get the complete parameters syntax.

Indira A
Never give up, Keep Trying
Gerald Thai
Occasional Advisor

Assuming that Oracle is on HP and you want an OBDC from your Wintel server to the database, install Oracle client on your Wintel. OBDC configuration is located:
- for 920
Start>Programs>Oracle_Home>Configuration and Migration Tools>Microsoft OBDC Administrator

Enjoy -

no points please