Databases
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Define Oracle Server Availability?

ericfjchen
Regular Advisor

How to Define Oracle Server Availability?

Our environment is Oracle E-Business Suite 11.5.4 with Oracle 9.0.1.4 RAC database. We would like to define a service level agreement for users. Can you share your opinion how much down time per year is acceptable?

Thanks

Eric
4 REPLIES
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Re: How to Define Oracle Server Availability?

Hi Eric,

Here I'm on Oracle E-Business Suite 11.0.3. The entire ERP is up almost all the time. I only shutdown the database when it isn't possible to do the job online or schedule it.

That (adding all the downtimes hours) gives me something like 2 entire days of downtime per year...
Each and every day is a good day to learn.
ericfjchen
Regular Advisor

Sorry for some update. This is a big database with 180GB. The concurrent session is almost 600 or above. Due to RAC, there is sometimes RAC bug happened caused one instance crash.
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

You should consider to patch your RDBMS to 9.0.2 to solve some of this bugs.

After that, you may want to tune the database:

- identify heavy processes and what they are doing
- See if there is any resource contention (memmory, buffers, etc...)

Each and every day is a good day to learn.
ericfjchen
Regular Advisor

This application is ceritified by Oracle 9.0.1.4 finally. Can't upgrade to 9iR2. The database performance is fine always because we use OMS & statspack to monitor that. Our DBAs are more experience with Oracle 8i & 9i OCP. The key point is not tuning. We often hit some bugs even if Oracle support never saw before. In other words, some bug was hitted by us but not in Oracle bug repository till now. We always contacted Oracle develper directly. Now our question is focusing on how to define a acceptable down time for users even through Oracle said they are unbreakable.

Thanks

Eric