Operating System - HP-UX
1752564 Members
5254 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to determine the oracle RAC partner?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

How to determine the oracle RAC partner?

Hi all:

Got many systems and most of them have oracle RAC installed. Question, how do you tell what is the partner system in a RAC environment?
6 REPLIES 6
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

Re: How to determine the oracle RAC partner?

Found the answer.
Without going into the database itself, you can look at the /etc/hosts file. There should be an entry of the partner system - what I have seen is this entry has a comment explaining that it is an interconnect system.
David Child_1
Honored Contributor

I imagine you are using MC/ServiceGuard so just run a 'cmviewcl'. It should show you all hosts in the cluster.
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

MC/SG is not required to run Oracle RAC.

Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor
Solution

In the Hpux side you can only expect hints as to which nodes MIGHT be partners.
You see, an Oracle RAC instance member on one node does nto yet know which other node MIGHT join the RAC instance. There is no pre-set list in Oracle. Any node on the same cluster interconnect can join. All it need is the instance name and a unique thread adn instance number. The actual partners will be a subset of the nodes on the cluster interconnect (ics)

The best hint for that subset is to scan through $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/init*.ora files.
Parners would have the same instance name.

instance_number = X
thread = Y
instance_name = Z

fwiw,
Hein.
Jeroen Peereboom
Honored Contributor

L.S.

If you know the database name(s) try:
srvctl status db -d DBNAME
It will show sonething like:
[oracle@xxxjp01 oracle]$ srvctl status db -d XSZ
Instance XSZ1 is running on node xxxjp01
Instance XSZ2 is not running on node xxxjp02

Searching for init*.ora files as Hein writes will indeed help too.

JP
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

This is what I have been going through today. I have 5 different modes of checking and at the very best all I can get are 'hints' Example. the /etc/hosts file can offer the info but if there are numerous other entries with no comments I am out of luck. The showmount command can offer some info but again there can be more that 1 mount to look at. The init.ora file can offer some insight but the SID names do not have to be similar. There are a couple of others as well.