cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am getting below error message while installing Oracle 10g R2 on HP-Ux 11.23

sadat
Advisor

I am getting below error message while installing Oracle 10g R2 on HP-Ux 11.23

Error in involking target 'ntcontab.o' of makefile '/home/oracle/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_2/network/lib/ins_net/_client.mk'. See '/home/oracle/oracle/oraInventory/logs/installActions2007-09-11_06-09-31PM.log' for details.

Can any one help me out for the same.

Regards
6 REPLIES
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Re: I am getting below error message while installing Oracle 10g R2 on HP-Ux 11.23

So... did you look into the log the error message identified?
Are you going to tell us what it indicated or is this a 'stump the chump' game?

Besides reading the .log file, you may also want to list the directory directory holding the failing make file (.mk) and glance into the make file itself.

if further help needed after reading the log, then please cut & paste pertinent sections in a further reply and/or attache the log file itself.

hth,
Hein.
sadat
Advisor

Re: I am getting below error message while installing Oracle 10g R2 on HP-Ux 11.23

Please find attached Logs file for your reference.

Error Messages.

INFO: End output from spawned process.
INFO: ----------------------------------
INFO: Exception thrown from action: make
Exception Name: MakefileException
Exception String: Error in invoking target 'ntcontab.o' of makefile '/home/oracle/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_2/network/lib/ins_net_client.mk'. See '/home/oracle/oraInventory/logs/installActions2007-09-13_07-04-42PM.log' for details.
Exception Severity: 1

Please let me know how i can relink/compile to rectify this issue.

Thanks
Syed
sadat
Advisor

Please find attached Logs file for your reference.

Error Messages.

INFO: End output from spawned process.
INFO: ----------------------------------
INFO: Exception thrown from action: make
Exception Name: MakefileException
Exception String: Error in invoking target 'ntcontab.o' of makefile '/home/oracle/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_2/network/lib/ins_net_client.mk'. See '/home/oracle/oraInventory/logs/installActions2007-09-13_07-04-42PM.log' for details.
Exception Severity: 1

Please let me know how i can relink/compile to rectify this issue.

Thanks
Syed
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

That's a lot of data

The end is pretty clear about a problem:

" INFO: ar: warning: the file nnfs.o is from an incompatible architecture

ar: warning: the file nnfu.o is from an incompatible architecture"

Of course that does not mean the cause it clear.

Could there be any mixup with the Oracle Kits being used? It the target box PA or IPF?

Looks like this ntcontab.o is the first Oracle client module to be made (ins_net_client.mk), after the Oracle server image itself is made (ins_rdbms.mk)

If you think you have the rigth ditributions in place, then IMHO it is time to contact oracle highlighting the error conditions from your log, and being very clear about which kit you are using, how that was obtained and what the target is.

Good luck!
Hein.

TwoProc
Honored Contributor

I really don't know how in the heck it happens, but Oracle somewhat regularly ships out install kits that bomb with issues such as this. Which I find totally amazing is how in the heck can a company call a product tested, robust and ready for production when the *INSTALLER* dies. Even after 15 years of doing this, I'm still amazed each time I have problems with an *installer*, geez - gimme a break.

Enough complaining, without even looking, I can tell you that it's pretty certain that there is a patch, possibly even more than one for that version of the product's installer, or at least installation notes on how to fix it. Search Metalink or log a call with Oracle for the solution, they'll have something for you, and I'm willing to bet it's not a rare condition.

The other thing that can help at times is that the problem may be with a piece of the product that you don't need, that you can just opt out of installing. However, in your case the problem is with relinking networking, and you'll need that.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
Ben Dehner
Trusted Contributor

It looks like you have the wrong distribution. In the log file, it looks like the 'ar' process is generating an 'incompatible architecture' error on every single object file that it touches.

And as for buggy install processes, I found that, by comparison, Oracle is actually suprisingly good. I've dealt with a particular ERP system that has *never* installed without problems, and their install documentation has *never* been accurate.
Trust me, I know what I'm doing