Operating System - HP-UX
1753925 Members
9061 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

I want to overrite the preexisting instance , and use this script to create a new database

Deanna Tran
Frequent Advisor

I want to overrite the preexisting instance , and use this script to create a new database

2 REPLIES 2
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: I want to overrite the preexisting instance , and use this script to create a new database

Hi:
First shutdown the existing instance using svrmgrl.
Then all you need to do is delete all the existing datafiles, controlfiles, archive and redo log files and replace your existing initSID.ora file with the new version. You then need to make sure that all the directories specified in your creation script exist. Oracle will only create the files, it will not create any needed directories. I haven't closely examined your script but that is all there is to it.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Re: I want to overrite the preexisting instance , and use this script to create a new database

Hi there.
Your scripts look ok so far.
Just another idea :
To do it the safe way i would do an export of the old database AND a backup.
I have attached a little script to create necessary subdirs, if you are in the dir / mountpoint. Start it with the ORACLE_SID as parameter.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"