1748158 Members
4071 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: INFORMIX and ldap-ux authentification

Rainer von Bongartz
Honored Contributor

INFORMIX and ldap-ux authentification

I set up ldap-ux authentification on my HP-UX 11.0 box.

This works fine for logins, but not for INFORMIX.
The following error occurs:

-951 User username is not known on the database server.

Did anyone succesfully configure ldap-ux and Informix and could give me any hints ?????
He's a real UNIX Man, sitting in his UNIX LAN making all his UNIX plans for nobody ...
5 REPLIES 5
Jason Dinsdale
Frequent Advisor

I'm afraid I cant shed any light on the problem for you, but I'm faced with the same challenge (authentication of Informix accounts via LDAP-UX) so I'm wondering whether you managed to solve the problem yourself? Particularly since this post is 3 years old.

Any help on the overall procedure would be appreciated.

TIA,

Jason
If a man talks in a forest and there is no woman to hear, is he still wrong?
Rainer von Bongartz
Honored Contributor

Jason,

yes it is possible to use ldap authentification
for yout INFORMIX users.

First of all you need IDS 9.30 at least. (Im already using 9.40 but it workes with 9.30 as well) Dont't ask me for older releases.

Second: set up pam auth with /etc/pam.conf

Third: configure $INFORMIXDIR/etc/sqlhosts
with something like

onsoctcp s=4,pam_serv=(libpam_ldap.1),pamauth=(password)

Good luck,

Rainer
He's a real UNIX Man, sitting in his UNIX LAN making all his UNIX plans for nobody ...
Jay W. Reffner
Occasional Advisor

Ranier,

I am trying to get this same setup to work (with IDS 9.40). I can login to the box with a ldap account, however logging into informix gives errro -952 (bad password). The sqlhosts line I am using is
server onipcshm server server s=4,pam_serv=libpam_ldap.1,pamauth=(password)

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Jay
Ryan Fox

With the error -952, check the informix client sdk version. Pam support was introduced in csdk version 2.80; earlier versions may give this error.
Neal Garcia

I just encountered the same problem, and afer a few weeks of working with Informix, I found from one of their docs that it won't communicate with the pam.conf file if you are running a 64 bit version of IFX on a 64 bit HP box. I beleive it was explained to me that if I went back to a 32 bit IDS 10.00.FC4, it would work.
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/idshelp/v10/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.admin.doc/admin218.htm
Just for reference, here is the doc. I also called support for an estimation on time for a new IDS release that will authenticate using pam, but none is slated.