Re: Impact of HP-UX upgradation to 11.00 on Oracle, PERL, Apache

Impact of HP-UX upgradation to 11.00 on Oracle, PERL, Apache

Currently our server(HP-9000) has OS HP-UX 10.20. We are planning to upgrade to
11.00. Also we are planning to upgrade Oracle to 7.3.4.4

The current versions of different S/W we have are

ORACLE - 7.3.4.3.1
PERL - 5.004
Apache - 1.2.1

Can anyone please let me know what impact the OS upgradation (to 11.00 from 10.02) would have on the above mentioned S/W.

Is the present Oracle version (7.3.4.3.1) is supported on HP-UX 11.00?

Should Oralce be upgraded to 7.3.4.4?

Should PERL and APACHE need upgradation either becuase of HP-UX 11.00 upgradation or becuase of Oracle 7.3.4.4 upgradation? If so, what versions they should be migrated to?

If someone can provide me with answers for atleast some of the queries, it would be of great help to me.

Thankyou,
Sreelatha.

6 REPLIES 6
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

You havent mentioned what type of server you have and wether you will upgrade to HP-UX 11 32 or 64 bit. This will make a big difference to your upgrade plan.

We have been migrating our 10.20 servers running Oracle 7.3.4 to 11- 64bit here and after several failed upgrades we went for migrations instead. ie. clean install a new server to 11.0, Oracle 8.1.5/6 and then install all the new applications for 11 and then export the DB, move it to the 11 server and load it up. This approach worked much much better and a lot less problems than trying to upgrade.

Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
John Palmer
Honored Contributor

As far as Oracle is concerned, you can upgrade to 7.3.4.4 under 10.20 and then run 7.3.4.4 under 11.00.

Just be aware that the 10.20 version of Oracle code will not work under 11.00. You have to install the 11.00 version. The databases will run without change however.

Hope this is useful.
John Palmer
Honored Contributor

The latest version of Perl available at your friendly neighborhood HP Porting Centre (ours being http://hpux.connect.org.uk/hppd/hpux/ ) is version 5.6.0 which is available for both 10.20 and 11.00.

I would suggest upgrading Perl to 5.6.0 on your existing 10.20 system then you can have the same version on 11.00
Anthony deRito
Respected Contributor

If your going to upgrade Oracle, did you check out the upgrade to 8.0.6? This is our plan of action since we are staying at HP-UX 10.20 and do not need 64 bit. Check out the release notes at the following URL:

http://docs.oracle.com/

Once there, click on CD Pack, then on the database tab then on Oracle 8. All the release notes for all versions are on-line.

Tony
Anthony deRito
Respected Contributor

Check out the current version of Apache binary for HP-UX 10.20 at

http://apache.adgrafix.com/dist/binaries/hpux/

I have it installed with HP-UX 10.20.

Tony

Dave Chamberlin
Trusted Contributor

Since you are doing an involved upgrade, I would recommened going straight to Oracle 8i - since Oracle will no longer support 7.x after next year.