Operating System - HP-UX
1748088 Members
5067 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Informix 7.24 on HP 10.20. Performance degradation.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Juan Gonz├бlez
Trusted Contributor

Informix 7.24 on HP 10.20. Performance degradation.

Hi,
we have a system with Informix 7.24 on HP10.20.
Three months ago we migrated our applications from other database system to Infomix. Since this change our users noticed that the applications run very slow. The users works directly in the server, there above 200 users. We detected using glance that there was CPU and disk bottleneck. We added a CPU and four disks and the bottlenecks dissapeared, but some problems persists. Users still notice that application run slow and we verify this. We detected that the application slows after situations of high load, even when systems resources are free and we must restart Informix to get the application run normal.
The connection between the application and Informix is by sockets (trough the loopback interface). We are thinking in change this connection to shared memory to reduce the system overhead.

What do you think about this change?
Do you have any idea about the cause of this problem?
Any help will be apreciated.
Thanks in advantage.

Juan Gonzalez
10 REPLIES 10
MARTINACHE
Respected Contributor

Re: Informix 7.24 on HP 10.20. Performance degradation.

Hi,

Do you verify database indexes ?

During the migration, maybe someone forgot to create some indexes.

This arrived very often ...

Regards,

Patrice.
Patrice MARTINACHE
Juan Gonz├бlez
Trusted Contributor

Yes, database indexes are OK. At first we touhgth in this too...but are OK

thanks for answer
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

I recall an issue on HP-UX 10.20 and Informix 7.24 specifically, where a certain parameter is incorrectly set in the profile for the Informix product.
My problem is I cannot remember which one :-(
It had to do with locking the main processes into memory, because I think your problem is the system is swaping or de-activating the Informix processes.
I think the file was called oninit, but may be wrong.
If you post your Informix profile I may rememeber which one, otherwise Informix SHOULD know of the issue and it's fix.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Volker Borowski
Honored Contributor

Hello,

what about database statistics ?
Informix 7.24 uses a cost-based optimizer.
This one needs calculated statistics (as oracle CBO as well) to provide correct access
path to the data.
I do not recall how the program is called.

On SAP you have a program infupdstat, but I do not recall if it is SAP or informix tool.

Hope this helps
Volker
Steve Lewis
Honored Contributor

It sounds like you may have NOAGE set to 1 in your onconfig, I had a similar problem to yours where the database ended up at a higher priority than the o/s until I set it to zero. Noone could ping the server or do anything.
It could be lots of things actually - long checkpoints, sequential scans, patching. If you have new tables being populated, run update statistics often on them. If you have a mixture of batch and on-line processes, keep the batch ones thru the socket and set the on-line user processes to go thru ipcshm. This will bypass a saturated socket and make it quicker for the users.
By the way, 7.24 has a few tcp socket related bugs which makes it crash a lot - I suggest upgrading to 7.31 asap.
Juan Gonz├бlez
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for your answers,

Melvyn
I attach the configuration file of Informix, could you take a look?

Volker
We run the update stadistics process weekly

Steve
The parameter NOAGE=0, and we have no sequential scans. We will follow your advice of divide the users in two groups if we migrate to shared memory

Best Regards
Juan Gonzalez
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the attachment, I have had a look an dnow remember the NOAGE, RESIDENT and I think it was a KAIO parameter.

RESIDENT I believe needs to be a 1, this ensures the main Informx processes stay locked in memory.
Again, it was about 2 years ago I found out about this, and recommend you discuss with Informix to be sure, as I do not have the information to hand.
Also and additional thought, have you installed the recommended patches for Informix?
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Bill Burton

Hi Juan,

I just found this month old thread. There are a number of significant problems with your configuration file. If you are still watching this thread let me know and I'll post my thoughts.

You might also wish to study my notes on the subject... http://www.bamph.com/informix.htm

Enjoy,

Bill
Juan Gonz├бlez
Trusted Contributor

Hi Bill,
yes I am still attending this thread. Could you post your conclusions about the configuration?
Thanks in advance