108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Informix 7.31 FD2 On HP-UX 11i

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mike Seerden_2
Occasional Advisor

Informix 7.31 FD2 On HP-UX 11i

Having a hard time trying to find out if Informix 7.31 FD2 will run under HP-UX 11i. Anybody running this combo out there and any words of wisdom or tricks needed on the database side. I would think this should be fairly straight forward.

We are also going to move many 4GL apps to 11i and would like to know if moving them from 11.00 to 11i will require any recompiling?
4 REPLIES 4
Tim D Fulford
Honored Contributor

This isnt really an answer, but
o IBM [Informix] would be best suited to answering these questions
o As you are no doubt aware 11i is 64-bit 7.31FD2 is 64-bit.
o HP say that any progs that run on 11 (with some exceptions) will run on 11i (I do not have the reference to hand!)
o The only problems I have ever had is when upgrading the Database, generally the OS is OK.

Good luck

Tim
-
Rainer von Bongartz
Honored Contributor

As far as I can remember I had this combination running on a test machine quite a while ago. There are no probems that I can remember.

But you should be aware that INFORMIX 7.x is in a maintenance release state and you should seriously consider upgrading to the 9.40 release in the next time

Regards
Rainer

He's a real UNIX Man, sitting in his UNIX LAN making all his UNIX plans for nobody ...
Steve Lewis
Honored Contributor
Solution

We are running SAP on 7.31FC7 and its fine.
Be aware that 64 bit informix is slightly slower than 32 bit (as with all 64 bit programs). Its all about getting access to that extra memory.
You won't get 64 bit chunk sizes (i.e. > 2Gb) until you upgrade to 9.40.
Tune it the same as any other instance and you will be fine.
As Tim said, any other upgrade problems are likely to be related to which version of the database you are coming from. Read the release notes to see what the vendor has changed and always run it on a test system first. If you are previously 32bit, then you will notice changes to onstat command output e.g. onstat -u, since it prints out 64 bit addresses, so some of your scripts may have to be edited.

Going from 11.00 to 11i will cause you no problems with the Informix DB. We recompiled 1200 4gl and C programs with no errors. Its not a painful upgrade like 10.xx-11.xx was for us.

The only command difference I can think of (off the top of my head) between 11.00 and 11i is traceroute.

Mike Seerden_2
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for all your answers. We are moving the database to 9i RAC next year so we will not want to go to Informix 9 otherwise I am sure they would have.