5036 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Informix database restore

David Tang_3
Occasional Contributor

Informix database restore

Hi all,
Got a real headache wish you guys be able to help.
I have a harddisk in a server that was used as a rawdisk for informix database. In SAM it was shown as not in use so a system admin used that disk to do a mirrorring for vg00.
When it was realised it was too late. Chunk 1 of some database reside in this disk.
Is there anyway to salvage anything from this situation?
4 REPLIES 4
Rainer von Bongartz
Honored Contributor

Re: Informix database restore

Hope you got your INFORMIX backup tapes at hand !!!!!!!!!!

Mirroring vg00 onto informix chunk has destroyed this chunk and cannot be otherwise restored.

If you did your INFX backups with onbar you can recover the following way:
onmode -ky
onbar -r -p
onbar -r -l

He's a real UNIX Man, sitting in his UNIX LAN making all his UNIX plans for nobody ...
David Tang_3
Occasional Contributor

Sad to say there is no backup tape...Is there any other way to restore the data?
From the oncfg file, I can see that the database have 4 chunks Chunk 1 and 2 is in the destroyed disk and Chunk 3 and 4 is in another disk mounted as a file system.
Rainer von Bongartz
Honored Contributor

David,

you definitly lost your chunks 1 and 2 !!!!

whether you can restart your database or not now depends on the contents that were on this chunks.

if your rootdbs (ROOTPATH in $ONCONFIG) was on one of this chunks you are definitly lost.

otherwise you could try to set ONDBSPACEDOWN 0 in your onconfig file

in either case post your online log file , perhaps i can give you some more hints, but dont't expect too much.
I think you have lost your database.
He's a real UNIX Man, sitting in his UNIX LAN making all his UNIX plans for nobody ...
David Tang_3
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your help..I know that the rootdbs is in the affected disk...guess nothing could be done...Thanks anyway :)