Re: Ingress running like a dog!

SOLVED
Go to solution
Richard Steven
Advisor

Ingress running like a dog!

Hi Everyone,

I wonder if anyone can help.

I recently purchased an rp2470 1 x 650MHz CPU 1GB Mem (est 16k tpm). I am using this as a development server for Ingress however it is running like a dog!

I think that I have all the correct OS and application patches!

To make matters worse I installed the same software on an rp5430 2 x 550Mhz CPU (est 18k tpm) and it works about 6 times faster!!!

Does anyone know what is going on? I think that it might be because it is on a 1 CPU server... or memory??

When doing a query the CPU is maxing out!

Thanks in advance!
If you don't ask you don't get!
11 REPLIES 11
Chris Wilshaw
Honored Contributor

We have similar issues running Ingres II under HP-UX 11i, on an rp7410 server.

We currently have a call open with CA regarding this issue (dbms starts to run at 100% of one CPU, and effectively locks out all transactions until the database processes are re-started) - we have been waiting for a patch for a few of months now.
Richard Steven
Advisor

Do you have any more information? I would really appreciate it if you could let me know what happens.

Cheers
If you don't ask you don't get!
Donald Kok
Respected Contributor

Hi,

I have 2470's with 1Gb on 11.0 and 11i. Ingres works like a charm.

11.0: ingres version II 2.5/0011 (hpb.us5/00)
11.i: ingres version II 2.0/0001 (hpb.us5/00)
(which are not current verions, but why change a winning team)

Good luck
Donald
My systems are 100% Murphy Compliant. Guaranteed!!!
Mark Treen_1
Advisor

Maybe not quite what you need but some nice tuning things in here!!
Hope it's of some use?

http://support.ca.com/techbases/ingres/ingres_manuals/ingres_docs.html

Mark
Mark Treen
Chris Wilshaw
Honored Contributor
Solution

From the details on our call with CA;

Bug 107914 talks about CPU hangs with internal threads, cache sharing and group buffers.

This is supposedly fixed in newer patches, although we have recently applied patch 9154, and have still seen the problems.

We have been running Ingres II under HP-UX 11.0 on a variety of R, D and L class servers, and have not encountered this problem - it appears to be related to either HP-UX 11i, or the higher spec machine.
Chris Wilshaw
Honored Contributor

We have now had an update from CA on our bug.

It is believed that this is fixed in patch9374 (from "Ingres II Corrections" portion of the related doc file)

(GENERIC)
In a multiple dbms installation with internal thread type and group buffers, running large update transactions, a dbms server may appear to hang with 99% cpu. (107914)

As we have only received the patch today, I am unable to confirm at this time if the problem is definitely fixed, but I will pass this information on as soon as possible.

Chris
Mike Laytham_1

Has the patch supplied by CA fixed the problem. We have a similar scenario, where we have multiple DBMS servers and when running large updates the DBMS servers all go to the top of the CPU utilization process list.

The servers don't hang but simply eat up CPU.

Thanks

Mike
Chris Wilshaw
Honored Contributor

That particular patch didn't work, but we have had another update (patch 9374).

This has been on test for a week or so, with no sign of problems.

From the patch doc

(GENERIC)
In a multiple dbms installation with internal thread type
and group buffers, running large update transactions,
a dbms server may appear to hang with 99% cpu.
(107914)

It also fixes another "known" issue that CA informed us of which they refer to as the "query-flattening" problem. This was an issue that we encountered a couple of times, and that we were able to reproduce at will (rather than the server hanging problem which appeared to be random).
Mike Laytham_1

Thanks Chris.

Can you give an idea of how your problem manifests itself. We have Ingres installed on a muli processor machine running 7 DBMS servers with over 3,600 connections. When we have peak load and a large amount of updates taking place with Ingres, the DBMS servers all go into a 'high cpu' state and sit at the top of the process table. We can still interact with the DBMS servers 'albeit extremely slowly' and if we remove around 150 sessions they seem to recover.
However we are running OS threads on a TRU64 machine, so Im trying to ascertain if the symptoms appear to be similar, and are related to Ingres, rather than the flavour of Unix.

Thanks

Mike