5894 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Install Canon GP605 and GP300 on HP-UX 11

Hoey
Occasional Advisor

Install Canon GP605 and GP300 on HP-UX 11

Hi
I need to set up two Canon printers - GP605 & GP300. I used SAM to add these printers, none of them is working. Print jobs are still sitting on the queue. Previously, I set up a few Canon printers, like IR5000, IR2800, IR2200, etc. They are working fine. But, for the GP series, it is a bit different. To me, if I used the wrong driver in SAM, it should still print, maybe printing garbage. I was told to set up as remote printers, but I don't have any instruction. Could anyone help, please? Or any idea why it doesn't print?

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Rainer von Bongartz
Honored Contributor

Re: Install Canon GP605 and GP300 on HP-UX 11

take a look here:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x61985220af9bd5118ff10090279cd0f9,00.html

Regards
rainer
He's a real UNIX Man, sitting in his UNIX LAN making all his UNIX plans for nobody ...
Adam Bentley
Occasional Advisor

Hi Davis Ho
Can you drop me an email if you think you can help. I'm trying to get some IR5020 Canon printers working here and I'm struggling. I want them to talk to our 11i HP boxen and I've set up a print queue accordingly (bsd) with a queue name of 'lp' which I believe to be the internal queuename on the nic card in this printer. If you have any config info on your IR5000 queues I'd love to hear it.

thanks . Adam.
adam.bentley at central-networks.co.uk

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

First, make sure the printers are not blocked by a router and that port 515 is available from your HP machine to the GP printers. Note also that the GP printers need a correct subnet mask and router defined in order to respond.

Now the tricky part: lp provides zero help in figuring out why communication fails. It is never a driver issue for remote printers because HP-UX doesn't use printer drivers. The remote lp communication is just a networking protocol so SAM just sets up a local queue. However, the protocol will fail if the remote printer name is incorrect. You can try to guess the internal name but to save a *lot* of time, look in the docs or contact Canon and ask them what the name is.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin