4832 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installation of 10g relaese2 on hp unix itanium 11.31 version

Aneesh Mohan
Honored Contributor

a small correction in the spelling it should be -ignoreSysPrereqs

Also have you applied the pre-requistie OS patches ?

11.31 (Itanium) required patches: (for Oracle 10G R2)
The following operating system patches:
o PHKL_35936 s/b PHKL_36242 s/b PHKL_37185 s/b PHKL_38449 s/b PHKL_38038
o PHKL_38397 or later Note 580273.1

The following patches are supported on Oracle Database 10g release 2:(Part Number B25292-06)
PHKL_35900: 11.31 evacd performance, kvaddr leak panic
PHKL_36248: 11.31 esctl cumulative patch
PHKL_36249: 11.31 esdisk cumulative patch
PHKL_35936: 11.31 call to read(2) or write(2) may incorrectly return -1

Aneesh
Vairamuthu_1

I am able to run the installer as mentioned by Duncan.Now i am facing a different issue while installation process time which is taking more than a day to get 100% complete and also it was not showing any next option to go forward.I have checked in log files also no error got updated over there.

Normally how much time will be taken for oracle 10g release2 installtion on hp unix itanium server 11.31 version.

This installation process i am carrying out thro Xmanager tool to get the Oracle Universla Installer user interaction GUI screens because the server resides somewhere remote.

Can anybody help me out on this issue..!

Thanks and Regards,
Vairamuthu M
Aneesh Mohan
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Normally how much time will be taken for oracle 10g release2 installtion on hp unix itanium server 11.31 version?

In my case it took less than a hour for complete binary deployment.I have created database seperately and not along with software installation.

If only software installaion is taking more time means there could be some issues:-

a) system might have experienced resource bottleneck.

b) How was the disk /Memory/ CPU utlisation at that time ?

c) If your using network installation source ,it may take more time.

d) If you have selected database creation along with software installation it may take more time but not one day .

e)Have you executed root.sh ?

Aneesh
Aneesh Mohan
Honored Contributor

Hi ,

check the below log for more information about what went wrong during the Oracle binary installation.

$ORACLE_BASE/oraInventory/logs/installActions2009-xx-xx_xx-xx-xxxx.log

Aneesh
Aneesh Mohan
Honored Contributor

Hi ,

I believe there is no problem in the Oracle binary deployment ..the reason why you are not getting next/finsh tab is you might not executed root.sh script ,after 100% of installation you will get a pop up window display to execute root.sh scripts.Once you have completed then you can close the pop up screen and get an installation succesfull window.

Check your alert log last lines for the status.

Regards,
Aneesh

Vairamuthu_1

Hi I had completed the installation successfully.Issue of time taking is not find the correct path of java installed and also the 11.31 family 32 processor.Hence I have to give the Java path along with the run installer option which got completed in one hour approx.

Thanks for all the guidance dudes..!

And final question is how to find the raw disk space and disk group names.This is required for me to install the ASM-Automatic storage management option of Oracle 10g release2.
/dev/rdsk there are some files.How can i confirm those files sizes.Can you please clarify about raw disk and logical volume group disk in detail.

Regards,
Vairamuthu M

Vairamuthu M,

glad you got going... as regards ASM, if you are on 11.31 I would advise you against using anything under /dev/rdsk as those are the old legacy device special files - the raw devices you should use if possible are under /dev/rdisk. However I wouldn't give ASM direct access to this location as that can lead to problems down the line...

- First use diskowner to identify if specific disks are already in use e.g.:

diskowner /dev/rdisk/disk9

Disks that are already in use you should leave alone

- For unused disks Use diskinfo to identify the size of the disk/LUN e.g.:

diskinfo /dev/rdisk/disk9

- Now you should have a list of candidate disks/LUNs that you want to give over to ASM control...

For each LUN identify its major & minor numbers using ls -l:

ls -l /dev/rdisk/disk9
crw-r----- 1 bin sys 23 0x000004 Aug 21 2008 /dev/rdisk/disk9

Then create a special area for Oracle ASM disks and create DSFs with matching major/minor numbers in that directory using mknod. You might also want to set permissions suitable for Oracle/ASM on these devices... e.g.:

mkdir /dev/asm
chown oracle:dba /dev/asm
chmod 750 /dev/asm

mknod /dev/asm/asmdisk01 c 23 0x000004
chown 660 /dev/asm/asmdisk01

(Repeat for other disks/LUNs)

- Now when you create your ASM instance point your ASM instance at the /dev/asm directory (I don't know how you do it in the GUI but from the command line you do it by setting the ASM instance parameter ASM_DISKSTRING to /dev/asm )

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo