Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Oracle 8.1.6 on HPUX 11

Mark_24
Occasional Visitor

Installing Oracle 8.1.6 on HPUX 11

Hi all

Need help.

As there is no DBA available, I have to install Oracle.

Do I need to have X-term to install Oracle? The L-class console does not come with X-term capability I suppose. So how do I go about doing it ? Can I set DISPLAY to my notebook and launch the installation from there?

How to get free X-term ?

Thanks
6 REPLIES
Dan Hetzel
Honored Contributor

Re: Installing Oracle 8.1.6 on HPUX 11

Hi Mark,

I've read somewhere, but I don't remember exactly, that oracle 8.1.6 installation doesn't support character mode terminals anymore.

If you have an X11 emulation on your desktop/laptop, you could use an xterm to run the installer. Make sure your DISPLAY environment variable is set properly.

Best regards,

Dan

Everybody knows at least one thing worth sharing -- mailto:dan.hetzel@wildcroft.com
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi there.
Yes, you need an X-terminal emulation. Exceed is suggested by HP and works execellent.
For the Oracle install :
get the Install and Upgrade guide for Oracle 8.1.6 on HP-UX 11.00.
Get the appropiate patches and keep an eye on the kernel parameters. For HP-UX 11.00 64-bit there is one extremly important patch PHSS_22478.
Otherwise you will end up in a stack of errors.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Darrel Louis
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You need the X11.
One of the requirements in the Oracle Installation Guide, is that the SHLIB_PATH, contains the $ORACLE_HOME/lib, /usr/lib and the directory containig motif Libraries.

Check for these patches, don't know if they are superseeded:

PHSS_21962 s700_800 11.00 X/Motif 64bit DevKit AUG2000 Periodic Patch
PHSS_21961 s700_800 11.00 X/Motif 64bit Runtime AUG2000 Periodic Patch
PHSS_21982 s700_800 11.00 Xserver cumulative patch

Good Luck

Darrel

William Baines
Frequent Advisor

Mark,

Just finished installing 64bit Oracle 8.1.6 on an HP9000 N class server running HP-UX 11.0.

Good advice so far - other notes:

I also needed to install patch PHSS_20122 "s700_800 11.0 cumulative pxdb patch" and increase the "maxdsz" kernel setting from default 64mb to 256mb in order to get oracle to link properly.

Good Luck!
Work smarter, not harder
Joseph C. Denman
Honored Contributor

There are several kernel parms you need to set. Check with the oracle install manual. If you had previous version of oracle loaded on the system, the parms should have already been set.
If I had only read the instructions first??
Joseph C. Denman
Honored Contributor

If you had another server with a graphics console, you could use it. Telnet in and export your display.
If I had only read the instructions first??