1752808 Members
5914 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Installing Oracle

khilari
Regular Advisor

Installing Oracle

Hi guys, i have to install oracle and i wanted to know the following?
1). What kernel parameters should i be concerned about while installing oracle.?
2)when i am installing oracle which filesysytem sizes should i have atleast in vg00?
3) any other concerns i might have before i start installing it?
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: Installing Oracle

Read the Oracle installation documentation. You should find answers to most of your questions there.
P_F
Regular Advisor

There are many, but you ought to be aware of these two: nfile, nflocks.

(15*nproc+2048)├Н┬╛ for Oracle installs with a high number of data files maybe not enough, use (number of Oracle processes)*(number of Oracle data files) + 2048

and

nproc At least 4096.

---------------

Those are well accepted guidelines I've used, derived from http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/index.html

David Bellamy
Respected Contributor

Before installing make sure you have all of the patches that oracle requires.
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

I am with Patrick on this. You can get this info at the Oracle site. I will mention that the documentation is lacking. They really have not updated it for 11.23 and later. It still mentions kernel parameters that do not exist and mentions patches for older HP-UX versions (< 11.23). I mainly always notice 11.00 patches listed. And more than likely even though you have done all the setup according to the docs, you will more than likely still see exceptions.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, a big part of being an Oracle DBA is the tenacity to go and dig and find all of the documents related to whatever project(s) you're working on. It's a mess, really - but you're options are... none.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett