1751943 Members
4835 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Kernel params - Multi-Instance - Oracle 9i

Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

Kernel params - Multi-Instance - Oracle 9i

Currently my company has 7 x 9i instances on one box. The box has more than enough horsepower to run them. I am concerned that the kernel params may need to be tweaked for the number of instances running. The current params are set to the Oracle recommended params for a single instance. I was curious if anyone knows which params would have the greatest affect for a box running multiple instances. I
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
2 REPLIES 2
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Re: Kernel params - Multi-Instance - Oracle 9i

Hi Court,

There is not enough information to answer your question. If your running 7 instances and they are all working with nobody complaining about performance, then I'd say you might be just fine.
If you see performance problems...then you'll have to supply the group more information to work with.
SGA of instances
More info on the hardware configuration
What are parms set to now

...what kind of problem are you seeing (if any).

You can have 7 instances and be working fine, or just 1 instance and it's choking.
Frankly, I use Oracle parm recommendations as a 'suggestion', but sometimes I absolutely disagree with what they want and have found UNIX Admin's tend to know more about tuning the kernel than a DBA.

Let us know specifics....
Rgds,
Rita
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

Re: Kernel params - Multi-Instance - Oracle 9i

The info was not super helpful but it did lead me to a new outlook on monitoring system performance. I have been fighting myself for years on the fact that tuning and performance is more of an art than an exact science.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"