New Discussion юеВ

Re: L2000

SOLVED
Go to solution
simon peter
Occasional Contributor

L2000

Hi

I am looking to upgrade my L2000 from 11 to 11i and run Veritas Volume Manager. I believe this will be ok to do as it supports 64 bit architecture but want to run Veritas Volume Manger.

I have been advised this is not supported could anyone advise.

Regards
Simon
5 REPLIES 5
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor
Solution

The current 11i install CD's offer 2 choices, to use LVM for vg00 or Veritas (VVM). We're running VVM on a few servers. It must be supported if HP have it as an install option on the 11i CD.

However, I must say I dont like VVM very much. Its a whole bunch of new commands, and the way it does some actions is comlpetely different from LVM. It just a matter of how confident you are of supporting VVM if you have say a boot problem. Most of use with years of LVM experience are very confident of fixing any problems, wish I could say the same about VVM.
I dont see any noticeable performance increase over LVM so why use it ?
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Hi Simon,

Veritas Volume manager is supported for 11.i

http://docs.hp.com/hpux/os/11i/

Kind regards,

Robert-Jan.
simon peter
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for that i thought it was supported.

Regards
Simon
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Simon,

I would also note that HP seems to be changing direction on VVM. Originally it was presented as the "way of the future", but now they seem to backing off from it. I see no advantages to using it: all the "good stuff" is in an optional, add-on product that's going to cost you additional money.

I would avoid it. There are no advantages, HP seems to be moving away from it. You may well end up having to convert it back to LVM at some point in the future.

Pete

Pete